11

"I STILL DON’T UNDERSTAND. How can Shadowhunters be better than… than what you people call mundanes?" Clary asked as they walked through the hall in the institute.

"Because we protect humans." Izzy's reply made Clary scoff, "You’re right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Alec said earning a hum of agreement from Kade.

"Alec, not now." Isabelle sighed as Jace looked at Clary, "Look, they won’t do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, “Oh, by the way, there’s this magic cup, I hid on, like the planet Bongo, but don’t tell anyone”." Clary's voice was dripping with sarcasm. "What am I supposed to do now?"

"We have to report to the Clave." Kade said making Jace mutter, "great." As much as Kade liked to mess with the Clave by not abiding by their rules, there were some things they still needed to know.

"They have to know we’ve learned about Valentine." Alec continued.

"What, that he’s my father?" Clary raised her brows, "great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

"Clary, it’s all connected. The vamps want the Cup." Jace explained making Clary furrow her brows in confusion, "why? It makes new Shadowhunters."

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself." Alec replied to which Isabelle added, "Plus, it controls demons."

"They’ll propose a trade. Simon for the Cup."

"They already did." Kade reminded.

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love. What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?" Clary threw her hands in the air, exasperated.

"So, this doesn’t matter to you?" Alec questioned, taking a step forward.

"Yes, of course, it matters!" Clary exclaimed making Alec look back st her, "Listen… when you saved my life… I put my trust in you. Now, I need you to put your trust in me. I can’t turn into what you are overnight."

"It’s true. She was raised as a mundane." Isabelle said making Kade arch his brows at her, "What are you, her spokesman now?"

"I don’t need a spokesman, I need a plan." Clary said as she walked towards all the screens. "Uh, look at all this stuff, these screens. I mean, can any of this help me find Simon? Where is he, anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"

"Actually, no. They’re locals." Jace spoke up making everyone look at him as Izzy said, "they're at the Hotel DuMort, down Gansevoort Street."

"And we came back here?" Clary asked, "Why? We have to go there. Let’s go, now. Come on."

"We need a Clave resolution for that." Alec said to which Isabelle added, "The five of us can’t declare war on the vamps all by ourselves."

Kade decided to not say anything as he only listened.

"And we can’t react without considering our options. Downworlders are slaves to their impulses. We’re not." Alec said to which Isabelle sigh, "Alec, you can’t stomp on all the Downworlders."

"Oh, that’s right. Seelies have their charms, apparently." The older Lightwood teased with a smirk on his face.

"Right." Jace also had a smirk on as they both looked as Isabelle who was smirking sarcastically. Once Jace's and Alec's eyes fell on Kade who was boring holes through their souls, they dropped their smirks.

"Seelies?" Clary frowned at the unfamiliar word.

"Like faeries." Jace cleared his throat before he explained, "The Fair Folk. Add pixies, nixies, elves… anybody half-angel, half-demon. It’s pretty much a catch-all term."

"Isabelle can tell you all about them. She’s got a thing." Kade said blankly at Izzy whose playful demure dropped as she bit her lip and avoided his stare.

"Okay, I can’t listen to this." Clary sighed, exasperated, "Simon’s been kidnapped by vampires. I guess I’ll just take care of it myself." She began walking away.

"Clary, you’re gonna get yourself killed." Jace said but she didn't stop walking. She continued walking away but stopped when Jace groaned and said, "Simon, too."

Clary walked back towards them.

"You're inexperienced. You don't know how to defend yourself let alone fight," Kade began, "all you know is whine like a kid. What are you gonna do once you get there, hmm?" He raised his brows at the girl who was silent, "what do you think they're gonna do when they find out you don't have the cup? Allow you to go? No, they're gonna kill you and then they're going to kill the mundane. So go ahead." He pointed to the exit, "have at it."

"Take it easy." Jace shot his friend a pleading look, telling him to stop which he completely ignored.

"Then help me," Clary said, "while we consider other options, my best friend is suffering. Is that something Shadowhunters understand or am I just being a mundane?"

"Clary’s right." Jace said, "They made the first move. We’re gonna take care of this ourselves, right now."

"This is a bad idea. I—" Alec was cut off by Jace, "What, have you got a better one? Look, the vamps broke the Accords. They kidnapped a mundie. That’s a big no-no. The Clave will give us a lecture and then they’ll be glad we did it. Besides, Kade's with us so we won't be getting into any problem. Come on."

"Hard to argue with that." Isabelle said.

"Even if we went ahead, I don’t see how we get out of here without having to explain where we’re going." Alec said, "we need weapons and we can’t let anyone see us get them."

"I know where to get what we need."