chapter four

Leo

Fascinated, I watched the large water fountain in the garden. Never in my life I had seen such a well and green garden. Where I came from, people valued other things. For example, whether there was enough food on the table to feed every mouth in the village.

Life in the South was hard, especially outside the city. I had been all the more frustrated when Father announced almost ten years ago that he was leaving us. That he had to leave us to somehow get money in the capital. Only later did I understand what circles he had fallen into in an attempt to earn money for my mother and me.

And all the greater my hatred of him was that he had exposed himself to such danger. And he hated me for the fact that I existed at all. That I had arisen as a ridiculous mistake and that he now had to bear something like responsibility. And that he had to bring me to him after my mother's death. Never before had I ever been to such a city as large as Bangkok. Or in an almost as big house as this one.

"What the hell are you doing?" suddenly a cutting voice sounded behind me. Scared I flinched, completely confused where the dark male voice came from. For a moment I was just waiting for a bullet to penetrate through my skin. But nothing happened.

Slowly I turned around with trembling, raised hands, only to look into the face of a boy who had to be about my age shortly afterwards. His sharpened eyes reminded me of someone, but unfortunately my brain was almost suspended at that very moment. His sight was simply overwhelming. The pitch black hair was tied up to a small braid at the back of the head, but individual strands had come loose and frames his striking face. He was tall, muscular and wore a gray T-shirt with jeans.

"Please ... me ...," I began to stutter and cursed myself internally that I could not sound unsettled at least once. But my mouth just didn't want to obey.

"I ...," I kept trying, while the boy's eyebrows slowly but surely drew deeper and deeper wrinkles on his forehead.

"I've never seen you here before," he expressed suspiciously and looked at me from top to bottom. It almost felt like he could really see through me.

"I ... am new ... my father ...," I brought out reeling, with my voice sounding so quiet and shaky that I was afraid that he had not heard me at all. Helplessly, I looked at him and then pointed to the water fountain behind me.

"Sorry."

I brought these word over my lips without any problems. After all, it was also the word I used the most.

"Unfortunately, this does not answer my question," the boy replied and took a step towards me with a questioning look. Unsettled, I shrugged back, whereupon he paused confused.

"Who are you and where are you from?" he repeated himself again, speaking more than slowly. He seemed to think that I was mentally restricted.

"My father ... works ... and lives here. And I ... from now on too," I murmured quietly in front of me in a stuttering voice. But the boy still seemed to distrust me.

"And who is your father?" he asked questioningly and I slowly but surely began to admire him. He could ask questions without even hesitation.

"Saengtem. Throsko Saengtem. Panther."

When saying these names alone, I noticed how anxious my voice sounded. This was probably also the reason why he analyzed me skeptically again and then almost arrogantly stretched his chin.

"You are the new one," he finally stated questioning rather than determining and poked his hands in his hips. He seemed intimidating.

"Yes," I admitted meekly and wondered what my father had told everyone. I was surprised that he was even talking about the biggest mistake of his life.

"Well then, welcome to the big city, village boy."

He sounded far too exuberant and I even thought I could hear a touch of ridicule in his voice, but I preferred not to reply. Somehow, his self-confidence in combination with his spread, lying around, intimidated me quite a bit.

"You come from the south, aren't you? I mean Panther had mentioned it," the unknown added, with a skeptical look, probably because he thought I was lying to him or something like that.

I was no further away from causing trouble here on my first day.

„Um .... I mean ... yes, from one of the islands there," I stuttered uncertainly, still more than tense. This whole situation reminded me of one of the absurd surprise tests that are often carried out at school.

His face brightened a little and he now seemed less complacent, but much more dangerous. Like a silent snake who was just waiting to snap. And still I didn't figure out who his striking appearance reminded of.

"My Pa also comes from the Southern Islands," he told me and I heard a touch of pride from his voice. His father had to be someone he could be proud of, unlike mine.

"But why ...," he then started again, but was interrupted by a voice that made me shrug terribly and that I unfortunately knew all too well.

"LEO! Where the hell are you, boy?!" I heard my father roar behind me.

Swallowing loudly, I turned around in tense anticipation of what I had now done wrong again.