Cuatro

It was that second day of school after the dinner at Oliver Garden that I had to introduce my best friend to my future stepbrother.

I was Ryan's tour guide to the school, showing him where all the main areas were, and being a good escort for him to all his different classes. I felt kind of bad that I had to put Jason to the side, for the time being, but I told myself he'd be okay. He had other friends, and I had a (hot) stepbrother to help out for the time being.

During lunch was when I was able to see Jason.

***

"So you go down this hallway, and then to left. Then you go up this staircase, and take a right down that hallway." I was in the middle of helping Ryan figure out his next classes with a map of the school when a familiar pair of hands covered my eyes from behind me.

"Guess who!" It was Jason.

"Hmm..." I said, drawing out the interaction. "Could it be a little birdy interrupting our important business? Oh, I wonder who it could be..." All the same, a smile was laid across my face.

The hands quickly gave me back my sight. Jason slid in on my other side, making me in the middle of two boys. He ruffled up his brunet hair, his green eyes looking over to Ryan with exaggerated suspicion. "Who's he?" He asked me, pointing a slender finger at my stepbrother.

"Ryan." He explained blankly, a sudden sharpness in his words making me strangely unsettled.

Jason looked at me for further explanation. I gave it to him easily, not sure what was Ryan's deal. "This is my stepbrother, Ryan. Well, stepbrother-to-be. He just transferred here, and I'm his little tour guide for the day."

Ryan chuckled to himself. "'Little' is right." I shot him a look, but his smirk did nothing to remove itself from his face.

"Whatever. It's genetic," I say, momentarily ignoring his rudeness to check in with my friend. "Anyway, sorry I didn't tell you about this earlier. It was sort of a last-minute thing that he would come in today and not at a later date."

Jason nodded. Oh, the ever-understanding bestie. "That's cool. Hey Jayce, I was wondering if I could come over to the house today?"

"Uh. Su-"

"Nope."

I twist my body to Ryan. Could he stop being rude for two seconds? And especially in front of Jason. I don't get what his deal is. "Don't be rude." I scold him.

Which gets Jason chuckling along. "Yeah, step-bro don't get yourself in a twist. Jayce will be after you—and you don't want to disturb her when she's annoyed."

I blush. It's a little joke between Jason and I is that I get super confident and as Jason would describe it "badass" and I would say "idiotic" whenever someone pisses me off or just bugs me enough to take action. It's like I am fearless of any consequences, no matter how extreme.

"Sure. I won't piss her off. But either way, your little sleepover can't happen. We," Ryan loops his arm around my torso, squeezing me ever so lightly—my blush hardens, "have somewhere to be. And no boyfriends are allowed. Sorry, What's-Your-Face."

"It's Jason. Jason Hayes."

"Jason Hayes." Ryan corrects himself.

And somehow I am in the middle of this—sandwiched might I add—and unable to do anything but watch. Ryan takes me up with him, grabs the map with his other hand, and walks us out of the lunchroom.

We walk a couple of strides before Ryan loosens his grip on my body. A sick part of my brain wishes he held me for longer. But I'm too pissed to care about that now. "What was that for?" I demand, whisper-yelling at my stepbrother.

He shrugs like it was no big deal when it is one. "That guy... Jason Hayes. I don't like him."

I flash Ryan a puzzled look. I had hoped they could be friends, or at least cool with each other, but the way Ryan was starting it, they could easily become enemies. With me in the middle of their quarreling. I don't want to be anyone's middleman.

"What's wrong with Jason?"

Ryan pauses, and I stop for a second as he comes up closer to me. His words are so close and soft in my ear that it feels way too intimate. "It's just something about him. Something that I don't like. I don't want you hanging around him."

Now that last sentence got me. I pull away from his calming voice and look him in the eyes, my brown eyes daring him to challenge me. "I will not. You cannot just waltz in here and dictate my life. Jason and I have classes together. We always hang out together. Just because you transferred to Washington does not mean you can do that to me. I won't let you."

My bird flies before I can stop it as I stomp away from Ryan. What a dick.

I go look for Jason. I feel bad that Ryan said those hurtful things to him, and I would like to spend some time with my best friend since I've pretty much ditched him for Ryan all day. But when I return to the lunchroom my brown-haired, green-eyed friend is nowhere to be seen.

I'm sorry about Ryan. Where did you go?

I wait five minutes and still did not respond. Where is Jason?