Chapter Nine - Looking For Ether (II)

If you want to know his heart, pay close attention to what angers him.

If you want to know his mind, listen for the words that linger in his silence.

If you want to know his soul, look at where his eyes are when you catch him smiling.

- Lang Leav (To Know Him)

~

Arnav had felt uncomfortable when he woke up from his two-hour sleep and prepared to meet the Gupta sisters. He had been uncomfortable still throughout their interaction and had finally reached the end of his patience and tolerance when he was left alone with Akash and Payal.

Of all the things that were there in his life to pester him, in that moment, being a third wheel became the gravest of all and he had to excuse himself. He had planned to wait for Akash in his car. Maybe call Aman and enquire after that meeting he had not been able to attend personally, but as soon as he left the restaurant, his eyes had sought for something else.

He stood in the middle of the mall, scanning the surrounding until he caught the glimpse of a piece of cloth flying. A baby blue material with zigzagging lines of white and a gold lining. A trace of her. Before he could stop himself, he set his course towards her.

He had not considered the reason behind seeking her out. Ever since they met, the only times he made his way to her was to torture her and so as he reached the first floor and saw her standing still, gazing out of the window, he had to take a moment to try to contemplate his motive. It was taxing, this instinct that he did not understand.

A characteristic move of his would be to grab her and make it clear a hundred percent that just because he was not giving her hell and was still allowing her sister to marry his brother, she shouldn’t begin to entertain any dreams. He was not her family. He was not even a friendly acquaintance and she should not get any ideas. But somehow that did not feel right. He was confused, but he was not angry.

As he pondered, she lifted her arms and draped them around herself. He had noticed that she was not wearing her characteristic outfit. There were no pompoms hanging on her arms since she opted to wear long sleeves today. Her dress was in Anarkali style, bulky and almost to her ankle—probably to provide her with warmth.

She had a fever.

He reverted to their encounter the day before. She had been drenched from head to toe when he met her and afterwards, she had disappeared into the storm, and he had been too lost in his own thoughts to care for her.

A twinge jarred through his chest. How had she made her way home safely?

He abandoned his train of thoughts and finally approached her. He noticed the change in her stance instantly. The way she stiffened in awareness and the way her eyes, that had been taking in the whole scenery, darted here and there before fixating themselves on a singular point. He maintained a safe distance when he stood besides her and turned his eyes outwards. He couldn’t think of anything else to say, except, “are you okay?”

From his peripheral vision, he noted her hesitation before she finally turned towards him. He continued, almost resolutely, to stare outside.

“Yeah,” she replied. Another moment of hesitation, then, “you?”

He raised his eyebrow even though she could not see him. “What do you think?”

The question came out harsher than he intended but Khushi didn’t seem flustered. She kept her gaze on him. He felt his skin tingle under her surveillance.
Finally, she said in a sigh, “I am sorry.”