Chapter Seventeen | What did Genie say to Aladdin?

Vote | Comment | Follow

My head raises from my fingers that were wrapped tightly around the bouquet in my grasp, the silky white roses.

As my eyes look up, staring at the two huge doors that once opened would be the definition and purpose of my life.

The two guards stood by each corner of the hallway made me feel the nerves of today.

I inhale deeply, closing my eyes for a moment to inhale the importance of this day before finally having the confidence to raise my head. My view is blocked by the fabric of my veil, my father takes my arms in his and stands up straight.

Pluck...

I close my eyes.

"This is for our family, agápi mou." My father whispers the words, my jaw tenses as i try my hardest to suck in the tears forming in my eyes. "Remember this was planned since you were young, we have to abide by the contract."

Pluck...

The doors begin to open.

My life unrolled before my eyes.

Pluck...

I take the first step onto the white carpet; everyone stands up to show respect. My eyes betray me, and I look at my husband, the man I have never met.

However, I could not see him clearly because of this stupid veil.

With every step I take, the closer I am for my old life to be over.

Once I reach the stairs, my head turns to my father and tears stroll down my eyes. "Aftó eínai gia to kalýtero tis oikogéneiás mas, agápi mou, to káneis aftó gia emás." I see a hand reach out for me; I do not dare to look up but for some reason my hands slide into his.

Pluck...

The difference in size amazed me, my hands looked like a baby in his.

He helps me up the steps, until we were both facing one another.

I decide against looking at him, knowing he was definitely an old man with around seven kids.

"Welcome family and alliances. We are gathered here today to witness and celebrate the marriage of....

Pluck. Pluck.

"This is not the beginning of a new relationship but an acknowledgment of the next chapter in their lives together..."

"Do you...take her to be your lawfully wedded wife? To have and to hold, in sickness and in health, in good times and not so good times, for richer or poorer, keeping yourself unto her for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do." His voice shocked me, the power behind it left me in shock.

I shoot up from the bed, my fingers rushing through my hair as the dream continues to repeat in my mind.  I rub onto my forehead and slide out of the bed; I look beside me to see Nicholas fast asleep. It was basically five in the morning; I grab myself a robe from the wardrobe before walking out of the bedroom.

I walk past the bedrooms before I hear shuffles going on in one of the rooms, I slowly push the already open door and it releases a creak.

Rose was twisting and turning in her bed, I step inside the room and walk towards her bed. She releases soft whimpers, "Rose?" I whisper her name. Her eyes slowly open and I notice tears falling down her cheeks, I gasp settling onto the bed.

She dives into my arms without hesitation, her hands wrapped around my waist. 

"Hey, are you okay?"

"I always have bad dreams." She cries into my chest; I stroke the back of her head. "I want my mummy..."

My heart breaks for her and Nicholas, how hard it must have been for him to raise a child alone. How selfish could her mother be? Rose sniffles and raises her head to face me, her hazel eyes locked with mine and I gently graze her cheeks with my hands.

"Who are you?"

"Bella, I'm a friend of your fathers Rose."

"You sleep in the same bed as him?"

"We're having a friendly sleep over." She wipes her nose with the back of her hands.

"Can you stay next to me?" I nod my head, tucking her back into bed as I cover her with blankets. She snuggles in, her hands interlock with mine as if to make sure I don't leave her. I sit next to her, and she rests her head onto my lap, stroking her hair I look up and see the drawing pinned all over the walls.

Drawing of her and her father, and then there was one that looked so odd.

A family one, her in the middle holding her father and-mothers hand? She drew brown hair and blue eyes on the figure, and a speech bubble saying - I love you.

I glance down at Rose.

Then back around her room.

I looked out the windows to watch the sunrise bloom.

It was the sort of yellow that glows from a homely hearth, the sort that warms you just to see it, even before the steady flame can bring a glow to your skin.

The sun hangs so impossibly in the smoky sky- a perfect circle without strings or supports.

The sun in the sky as fresh colours brushed upon an artist's canvas, as if those rays were destined to create a great work of art - one given to those open to capturing simple moments in the soul.

The orange gold stretches far and wide, the colour of fire hearths and tangerines. It is but the reflection of the dawn, the promise of the rising sun that comes after the velvety night has had its say and the land has rested once more.  

"Can you read me a story?" I hear her whisper.

"Hmm, once upon a time, far away a princess was growing flowers in her garden-she loved flowers, and she looked like you." I pinch her cheeks; she releases a soft giggle. "Then, an evil witch casts a spell for all the flowers to die...the princess cried day and night...until a handsome prince comes and hands her a pack of new seeds. They grow a bunch of flowers together and fall in love."

"Do they kiss!"

"Urm, time to close your eyes." Rose yawns and closes her eyes; I glance down at her hands to see a mole.

I have the same exact mole in the same place, what a coincidence? The door is creaked open, and my head shoots up to see Nicholas staring at the both of us, he walks in and settles onto the edge of the bed as snoring takes over the silence.

"She had a nightmare?"

"Yep, sorry, i don't know if i have overstepped any limits-"

"I think we are way passed that."

"Nicholas, can I ask you a question?" He nods.

"Have you tried looking for Sophia?" Nicholas hesitates with his answer.

"Yes, I have."