Five • She Is Aurore

Thea had shifted her and Cynthia's stuff to the Dark Castle with the help of few fellow maids. She returned to the village around the evening to meet Romeo, one of her admirers in the village. When she reached his house, he was caressing his brown female horse whom he called Juliet. He owned a carriage and earned by taking rides from town to town.

“Hello, Romeo.” Thea tried to sound as sweet as possible.

Romeo turned around and was left shocked to see her,“Oh my! Thea, how come you came to my house?”

She chuckled,“Actually I need a ride for tomorrow.”

“Oh, I see, where to?” He asked.

“Bridget Woods.”

“That's a long away.”

“Yeah, but it's very important for me to go there. Can you please give me a ride?”

“Well, I can. But there's a price.” He smirked.

“Oh, of course, how much would it cost?” She smiled at him.

“It's not about few gold coins, Thea. I want you.”

“What do you mean?”

“See, you are a beautiful woman and I fancy you since a long time. Sleep with me as a payment for the ride. I want no money.”

Thea was left shocked. But it wasn't that much of a bad deal. She could save some money. She doubted if Romeo would be good in bed but she could handle bad sex for a night.

“Alright, I'll sleep with you once we return from Bridget woods. But only one night.”

“That's a heaven for me, gorgeous.” He took her hand and kissed the back of it making her cringe internally.

•••

As promised, Romeo took Thea to the Bridget woods on his carriage. After inquiring at a few places they finally found the residence of Zelda, the witch. She was quite popular in the tribe living in the Bridget woods.

“Why do you want to see a witch? Anything wrong?” Romeo asked once Thea got off the carriage.

“There is something bothering me.” She replied and headed towards Zelda's residence.

It was an old house made of wood. She knocked at the equally old wooden door and heard a very sharp voice saying, “Come in.”

She entered and what she saw was colourful potions everywhere. It truly looked like a witch's house.

“What brought you to me, young woman? You don't look like a local.” The witch, Zelda asked her from a dark corner where she was working with some herbs to make a new potion.

“I am Thea. I work as a maid in the Dark Castle in Croia Hills. Where the five brothers live. I told Master Alarick about my problem and he suggested me to meet you.” She explained.

“Oh, so Alarick has sent you. Tell me, what's bothering you?”

“For the last two years, when the night falls I feel like someone is touching me all over my body.”

“Hmm, interesting. Come close, young woman.” Thea stepped towards the witch who looked at her from top to bottom.

“There is something off about you. You are gorgeous, but a dark aura is surrounding you. Give me your hand.” Thea put her palm on Zelda's extended hand. As soon as Zelda came in contact with Thea's touch, her eyes widened in shock and she immediately withdrew from the touch.

“You... you are marked by the Evil. You are the Evil's mate. You are Aurore's reincarnation.” The witched kept mumbling.

“What are you saying?” Thea couldn't understand anything she was saying.

“You are no ordinary woman. You are a cursed fairy's human incarnation. Please go away!”

Thea was left confused. Tears welled her eyes. She turned on her heels and left the witch's house.

“I am cursed. I am Evil's mate. What does that mean?” She asked herself in bafflement.

She went to Romeo who was waiting for her near his carriage.

“Oh, you returned earlier than expected.” He smiled.

“Let's return.” Saying so she sat inside the carriage.

“Alright, it's already evening. We will reach the village by the morning.” He put on his hat and started the journey back to Croia hills.

•••

Cynthia slowly opened her eyes and found herself lying in an unfamiliar room.

“Thea...” She called for her sister but got no reply.

“Thea.” She called for her again.

“She isn't here.” Cynthia heard a familiar voice and when she looked to her left, Alarick was sitting on a wooden chair and reading a book. That's when she took in the room and realised that it's a dispensary.

“Why are you here?” She asked quite surprised to see him.

“Well, I am babysitting you till the time your sister does not return.”  Alarick replied casually while closing the book he was reading and put it on the side table.

“I am not a baby, sir.” She corrected him, feeling offended at his words.

“Call me Alarick.” He smiled and stood up from that uncomfortable chair.

“No, I shouldn't. You are my master and easily a century elder than me.”

“Why did that sound like a taunt?”  He smirked while standing near the tiny bed she was resting on.

“I didn't intend to taunt you, sir.”  Cynthia lowered her eyes.

“Well, I am five centuries elder than you.”

“That's... unimaginable.” Her widened eyes expressed her disbelief at his statement.

“I know.”

“Where is Thea?” She changed the topic when it got a little awkward for her.

“She will be back soon, don't worry. Thea is shifting her and your stuff to the castle's servant quarter.”  

“Oh.” She nodded in understanding. Of course, Thea would do that after that attack in the forest.

“Are you hungry?”

“Yes.”

“I will bring food for you.” He was about to leave but Cynthia stopped him, “No, I will go myself. You should not do it for me.”

She slowly got up from the bed and stood on her feet. She was feeling dizzy but it felt better than resting on that bed.

“Are you sure?” Alarick asked skeptically. He was not really convinced if she was healthy enough to walk around the castle.

“Yes.” She nodded.

“Alright, as you wish.” He nodded back and went to pick the book he was reading earlier. Alarick left the room while flipping through the pages to continue reading.

Cynthia sighed,“It doesn't seem at all that he is cursed of wrath. He is so friendly and amiable.”

•••

Thoughts 💭