Chapter-2: Our Brothers

"What's the point of having a voice if you're gonna be silent in those moments you shouldn't be?" -Angie Thomas

We walked into the house, and Sherlock continuously tried to ask me questions.
"How has life been?" He smiled.
"Good," I responded curtly. I had no interest in returning to him a relationship that he was so hell-bent on destroying in the first place.

"Sister, will you not ask me how my life has been?" He stared at me in shock.
"No."

I went to where Enola was standing, next to Mycroft.
"What is this?!" He held an object up.
"A tennis racquet. Our mother taught us, and Enola is extremely proficient for her age." I responded, putting a smile on Enola's face.

Mycroft looked at the wall, where there were tally marks under three of our names, showing our scores in various matches. He sucked in a deep breath, his face turning red, and his grip on the racquet increasing.

"Where the hell is she?" He muttered under his breath.
"That is precisely what I got them here to figure out," I whispered to Enola.

"I would say this is going quite well, wouldn't you?" She asked me, tears in her eyes.

"Chrysanthemums," Sherlock muttered, touching the flowers in the vase in mother's room.
"Clothes haven't been put away!"Mycroft said.

Sherlock muttered some more names under his breath.
"Enough with the bally flowers, Sherlock!" 

Enola crept up behind me.
"Enola," I whispered to her.
"Do not trust them, am I clear?"
"Why? They are our brothers!" She said.
"Just because a flower looks pretty, does not mean it smells good. They are bad news."

"Elayne and Enola, you at least had a governess," Sherlock asked us.
"She wouldn't like you in here," Enola replied. "This is her private space."

"Tell me, Elayne. She at least saw you both had an education. She valued education."

"She taught us herself. She made us read every single book in Ferndell Hall's library." Enola replied.
"Enola. I told you not to speak a word." I said.
"These are our brothers. If we are not to trust them, who are we to trust?!" 

Sherlock sighed and went to stand next to Mycroft. 
I crossed my arms, feeling for the sharp letter opener hidden in my sleeve. I would use it if things got out of hand. 

"I will make this clear. I know not what your intentions might be. I do not trust any of you. But please do note, I will do everything in my power to keep Enola safe, and far away from your influence after this is all over. Regardless of whether or not our mother might return." I said.

"They called the Principal of a Finishing School." Enola ran into my room, breathless.
"Do as she says, okay Enola?" I told her. "We will leave to find Mother ourselves. But for now, we must be inconspicuous."
She nodded, and I hugged her tightly. "She left us, Elayne. What if she's not coming back?" 

I was called into my room, where two ladies stood, with many things on a table.
"Stand tall, girl." Miss Harrison called out, tilting my chin upwards. "That's better."

"Waist, twenty-six inches. Chest, thirty-four inches." The other lady called out, measuring different body parts of mine.
"Well, that's too small!" Miss Harrison chuckled.
"They are perfectly fine." I muttered.
"Hips, thirty-six inches."

"Oh, how disappointing. We will use an amplifier." She said.

"No body part of mine needs amplification." I shot back.
"Well, aren't you the clever little tongue? I'm going to enjoy that." She smiled.

"What I won't enjoy is being imprisoned in those preposterous clothes!" I said.
"These clothes will not imprison. They will free. They will help you take part in the numerous pleasures society has to offer." She smiled.

"You will learn how to be a young lady, and you will make many new friends."
"I don't need new friends. And I do not need to go to your ridiculous school." I growled.

She reached her hand up to slap me, but I caught it and twisted her arm behind her back.
"Do not test me, or my sister," I told her. I let her go, and I walked out, grabbing Sherlock's coat which hung on the doorknob.

I shrugged on the coat and walked to where Sherlock and Mycroft were sitting, taking place next to them.

"Why are you in your undergarments, wearing Sherlock's coat, next to me?" Mycroft asked me.
"Oh, God forbid my dear brother sees my ankle and shoulder!" I gasped, picking up a newspaper lying next to Mycroft.

"Let me make myself clear once again; I have no interest in finding myself a husband, getting married, and definitely not going to finishing school. At least one where the Principal keeps on trying to slap me." I said.

"These are all things you need to have educated out of you, sister." Mycroft replied.

"Oh, Mr Holmes, Mr Holmes! The bloody girl twisted my arms! She hit me!" Miss Harrington ran into the living room, clutching her elbow, her face red.

Enola ran into the room, giggling when she saw me smirk, and hold up the newspaper to cover my face.

"They are taking after their dangerous mother!" Mycroft yelled at Sherlock, as soon as Miss Harrington left the room. 

"She is not dangerous!" Enola yelled. I got my weapon ready, feeling it line the linen.

"She is remarkable, and always has been. And if you still can't see that, then shame on you both!"

"So remarkable that she left you in my care." Mycroft muttered.

"Correction, my dear brother. She left her in my care. I might still be a minor, but she is my younger sister. She is my responsibility, which I have realised since the day she was born." I said.

We glared at each other for a while, until Miss Harrison came back into the room.

"Well, I have decided, that, even after these unfortunate circumstances, I shall give them a chance! I can tell we're all going to be firm friends!" She beamed.

"Oh, Miss Harrison, I am so grateful for your kindness." Mycroft told her.
"Oh, Mr Holmes, it's an honour." She replied, tears in her eyes.

I pursed my lips and looked at Enola, who was trying to hold in a laugh.

"I shall bring them tomorrow myself." He smiled.
"Yourself?" She had a gleam in her eye.
"Good."

This was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever gone through.