꒥﹒four 🗡️

Another letter slides under Ahn's door

Another letter slides under Ahn's door. It is the tenth one today. Sometimes her gang members deliver letters to her room instead of her office- which is the next door. Ahn is already dreading opening the door to her office and finding the enormous pile of letters.

Ever since she kidnapped the leader of Fool's Knight, Jang Byungho, she has gotten letters from nearly everyone in the harbour, accusations for kidnapping him (most have come from members of Fool's Knight). Some others are asking to get a piece of Byungho after she is done with him. However, all these letters are sent to her with no evidence. What everyone in the harbour has to go on is motive.

She seals the vial delicately and places it on the stand. The stand has four holes to hold four vials of poison. There are no spare holes on the stand.

She gets up from the floor and picks up the stand and places it on the windowsill next to an identical stand which has been harvesting for two weeks.

At the edge of the stand is a translucent pale pink poison, which resembles a drink for a special occasion than a deadly toxin. Ahn pulls it out of the stand and brings it over to her table. She reaches under the table and opens her drawer in search of her dropper. It is next to her favourite pen. She keeps the dropper and the vial on the table and fills her glass with the bottle of water and returns it back to the corner of her desk. She unscrews the vial and dips the dropper into the pink liquid.

The pink poison rushes to fill the empty space in the dropper. She pinches the rubber on top of the dropper. Then, she hovers the dropper over her glass and presses the rubber top again. Five drops of the pink liquid fall in the glass.

She is mixing her diluted poison when there is a knock at her door. It is not Hyunjin. He never bothers to knock, he just walks in, not caring what she might be doing.

"Ahn," a voice rough from smoking cigars says. "Come to my office."

"I'll be there," she replies. It's hard to refuse your boss even when you are his favourite.

"Immediately," he reminds her and leaves.

He probably has a mission for her to do his dirty work and leave no evidence.

There is a reason she is his favourite, and a reason she does his for dirty work for him- the money and favours in return for her work cost him a bit.

She rolls her eyes. No matter how much time she takes, he will wait for her. He needs her more than she needs him.

She mixes the poison into the water. It completely disappears into the water. If anyone has the misfortune of drinking it, she will have to explain why she has a glass of poison sitting idle on her desk.

Ahn brings the glass to her lips and takes a small sip. The heavy liquid settles in her stomach, leaving a bitter taste on her tongue. She chugs the whole glass before nausea hits her.

She isn't fast enough; a wave of nausea hits her. She grips the table behind her to stop her knees from bucking. Her knuckles turn white. Three drops next time.

Her head spins as tries standing straight. She opens her eyes and tries to focus around the room. She focuses on her breath, trying to regain control of her body.

After a few minutes of slow and controlled inhalation and exhalation, she takes her first step, her stomach churns; she feels like throwing up. But she doesn't stop until she reaches Daesong's office.

She gives two sharp raps on the wooden door.

"Come in," Daesong says.

"Hello Ahn," he greets when sits in the chair in front of him. He raises his eyebrows but doesn't comment. It is the first time Ahn sat down in a meeting with him. She prefers pacing around the room.

"What has been bothering you?" she asks.

"Straight to business." She doesn't reply. He continues, "There are two men, Doyoung and Mark, who want to start an uprising against me. You must kill them. My spies told the plan is still fresh. No one knows about it but them."

Ahn nods. This was the easier part of her job. Most of her victims were no match for her sword and if they were, she poisoned them or slit their throats.

"Where?"

"Crimson Club."

Ahn folds her hands on the table and leans in. She can taste bile rising in her throat. "Let's talk about how I benefit now."

He meets her eyes. His thoughts don't show on by face. It's a blank canvas. "What do you want?"

"Vetos and fifteen percent share of Second Harbour."

He exhales heavily. "Four percent share of the harbour."

"You control eight fine percent of the harbour. Surely you don't mind parting with ten."

"You already own five percent."

"Yeah, but you can slip me a ten percent share. After everything I do for you, I think it's fair I profit just as much," she pauses and looks at him. "Don't you think?"

He sighs and leans back. After a while, he waves his hand in the air dismissively. "I will think about it."

She chuckles. "I'm not leaving the room until I get an answer."

Daesong shifts in his how chair uncomfortably. He is backed in a corner and he is aware. He can't say no to Ahn and let the riot succeed. However much he resents it, he has to compile with her demands.

He thinks and thinks, trying to find a better deal. At last, he pulls out papers from under his desk and signs them.

He pushes the paper towards her. "Sign it and the ten percent is yours."

"Leave a thousand Vetos on my table." Ahn smiles and picks the papers up. "Consider the two men dead now."

an , things are only going to get more exciting form here! 

what was your favourtie scene in the chapter?

 please vote and comment if you have already not done so! 

💙