Chapter 3

Izumi walked home with a skip in her step and her notebook and pencil in hand.

She couldn't remember a time that she had left school in such a good mood.

For the first time since she had been diagnosed as quirkless, there were people that actually seemed interested in being her friend! The whole Nagisa trying to pull a suicide bombing had admittedly been a little off-putting, but everything turned out okay, and the newly dubbed Koro-sensei even agreed to answer some of Izumi's endless questions after class. Plus, she managed to talk with him about quirk theory once he found out about how passionate she was about quirks and the science behind them. It was a topic that few others seemed to find interesting. They were either too concerned with their own quirks to truly care about studying others or they simply didn't understand the heavy and detailed science that Izumi loved to study. Most of the time, it was a little bit of both.

He even gave me some books for me to look over! Izumi thought giddily, thinking of the numerous books that were now weighing down her backpack and craving the knowledge that she'd hopefully obtain from them. She couldn't wait to finally get home so that she could just hole up in her room and not come back out until the next morning. (Plus, she really needed to hurry up and make sure that she returned the nameplate Koro-sensei had stolen back to its proper place in case her mother came back home that night.)

She was so distracted by her rare amount of bliss and happiness that she didn't even notice the manhole cover behind her begin to rattle as she walked through an underpass. Normally, it was something that she would have noticed right away after years of paranoia and having to tiptoe around both bullies and authority figures. She always did her best to remain unseen, so she always made sure to keep track of everyone and everything. It was easier that way.

She regretted losing that cautiousness, even if it was for only a moment.

"Well, what do we have here?" Izumi's head whipped around just as she was covered in a green sludge that began to suffocate her. "A medium sized disguise... how lucky..."

A villain?! Izumi's heart pounded as her eyes widened, cursing herself for her inattentiveness. She didn't have any time for laments though as she tried to grasp the situation around her. She was having a hard time moving around with how thick the sewage smelling gunk seemed to encase her, and she was having a hard time even thinking as that same gunk was shoved down her throat.

Is this really how I'm going to die? She wondered. How pathetic.

Was this her punishment for thinking that she might actually have a semblance of a decent school year for once? She'd been dealt enough good hands for the day, so the universe was collecting its payment?

No, she thought, the look in her eyes hardening as she gripped the pencil she was still holding in an even tighter hold. I refuse! I absolutely refuse to die like this! Think, Izumi, think! What can you tell about the villain's quirk? Where might physical attacks be effective? Wait- now that I think of it-

"Don't worry, kid," Izumi would have grit her teeth in frustration if she could as the villain continued to speak. "I'm just gonna borrow your body for a bit. It'll all be over- GAAH!" Izumi gasped for air and coughed up as much gunk as she could as the sludge villain finally dropped his hold on her. It had taken longer than she had hoped, but she had finally managed to get her arm loose enough to be able to stab the villain right in the eye. "You bitch! I'll get you for that!"

Izumi grinned. She may have been neglectful of her surroundings before, but she wouldn't and wasn't making the same mistake again. Where she didn't hear the sound of the rattling manhole before, she now heard the sound of someone making their way towards them before she could even see them. Friend or foe, they would prove to be a distraction for the villain, and that's what mattered to her right now.