Through His Eyes [13]

{{Dedicated to @beautifultragedies for being kind enough to offer her support when I was having trouble writing}}

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

On Wednesday afternoon, Floyd asked Rhea out for coffee. They ended up going to the same coffee shop she'd went with Caleb. Their town had a Starbucks of course; -just like every other area with a population over a hundred- but Rhea much preferred the intimate atmosphere of the local coffee shop called The Chipped Cup. To be completely honest, she'd at first found the name kind of corny, but it grew on her in time.

The place itself was quite cozy with almost a dozen plush armchairs placed around several coffee tables. The counter was across from the door, and on the wall behind it there was a chalkboard, which the owner updated with a quote every few days. Today it read, "We accept the love we think we deserve."

Floyd and Rhea sat across from each other, each nursing a cup of coffee and occasionally nibbling on the lemon cheesecake they'd decided to share. Even though they spent a lot of time at school over the past couple of weeks, this was the second date they were going on together so the whole thing was still new and exciting enough to cause Rhea to squirm in her seat just that little bit.

"So," Floyd said casually, "When do you think is an appropriate time for me to ask you to be my girlfriend?"

Just liked that, Rhea started choking on the little sip she'd just taken out of her coffee.

When she managed to compose herself once again, she answered, "Not before the third date. You don't want to seem too eager."

"I am eager," he answered honestly, looking right at her with an intense gaze that did funny things to her insides.

***

The next day, Willa found Rhea by their lockers during the break before second period. She was too busy trying to stuff her Algebra textbook inside her already crowded backpack to notice her best friend coming to a stop right behind her. So Willa did what she always did: She stood on one side of her and tapped on her other shoulder, making Rhea turn her head just to realize it was just Willa being an annoying goofball. She turned her head to the other side to face her smirking best friend.

"Will you ever not fall for it?" Willa asked.

"Probably not," she answered, making her friend snicker.

"We're going out tomorrow night," Willa declared a moment later.

"Willa, no." Rhea dramatically shook her head. "I am with Floyd now, you have to accept that."

"Ha-ha. Real funny, smartass. We're going out on a double date."

"I don't think Floyd is interested in Wade in that way," Rhea said, all the while managing to keep a straight face. This, right here, was what made their friendship so good. Most people Rhea had known wouldn't put up with her silly banter; "Just grow up, will you?" was a phrase she'd heard all too often.

"Seriously though, talk to Floyd."

"We can all talk about it during lunch." Rhea finally took pity on her friend, who was trying to hold a serious conversation with her for once in their lives.

As Willa gave her a satisfied smile, Rhea noticed a familiar figure approaching them. Her eyesight wasn't the most spectacular out there, but as the person got closer, she managed to place him for who he was.

It was Caleb.

"Hey," he said to Rhea when he came to a stop in front of both girls. Then, he turned to Willa, who was looking at him with curiosity, and gave her a polite smile.