FIVE

The zombies looked ghostly pale, nearly white. Their skin flaked in such large portions that they seemed to be molting. Though their cracking complexion covered their entire body, each line and curve on their face was clearly visible. The forehead, the temple, the jaw, each strikingly detailed in the dusk. The eyes of these fleshy, tissue craving creatures were pitch black; only leaving a glossy reflection to the dark depths of the pupils. But worst of all, each is distinguishable from the next. Each with a past life and family. Each once experienced love, joy, sadness, and fear. Now they wander through the twilight seemingly aimless in effect.

 Now they wander through the twilight seemingly aimless in effect

We looked around for a place to take cover before the zombies noticed us. A nearby house was our only option in such a moment, but as we turned the corner I saw even more zombies approaching around the side. A broken window would surely be the deposition to our current living state.

After running inside, We quickly barricaded the door and covered a few windows. We tried to formulate a plan. 

"What are we going to do-" I asked in a breathy tone.

"-Should we stay here for the night?"

"No. We won't be able to make it that long. Can we access the roof from the inside?" continued Lucas.

From the window Cole asked, "Guys?"

"Maybe from the attic?" said Kavin.

"Guys!" Cole pointed out the window to show us a dismaying sight. A zombie on all fours, stalked the outside; as we peered through the window our eyes met. The thing rapidly leapt forward, screaming, arms thrashing. We ran to another window, more zombies were nearing the old house. The barricade wouldn't last. We all scrambled to find a hiding place in the house. I grabbed Cole and pulled him under the bed next to me. I prayed that we would, in someway, survive. 

Our hearts beat against one another as we clung to the floor under the low profile bed. Though we were trying to be as quiet as we could, our breaths were heavy and significantly noticeable. Crash. Me and Cole both held our breath as we fearfully scanned for a sign of an intruder. A pale foot, bleached white, stepped on the floorboard deathly close to my fingers. I wanted to pull away my palm from the thing's body but the angst of being discovered kept it firmly attached to the wooden flooring. We watched the creature's feet shuffle across the floor around the bed. Creaking floorboards added to the increasing unease.

The zombie made its way to the next room. I tried to turn to Cole to help comfort him, but I hit my head on the boards of the bed frame. Thunk. Me and Cole's hearts both stopped and so did the creature's steps on the creaking floor. The creature's feet slowly started towards the bed, me and Cole.