🐈 Twenty Five

It took every ounce of Cliff's self control not to step forward, take Annie in his arms, and plant his mouth on hers again without holding back. The only thing that kept him from doing it was the knowledge that she'd kissed him as a friend and nothing more.

But God, every part of him was still buzzing as they walked around the manor to the backyard. He had no idea what came over him, what courage he'd come across that inspired him to make the offer, but he'd be grateful for it the rest of his life.

When he touched her, she'd all but melted against him. And damn it, she'd been afraid of not knowing what to do for nothing. She'd practically brought him to his knees with the way she'd kissed him.

He'd forced himself to pull away before he got carried away--a few seconds later and Jack would have caught them. Jack, who was the one Annie undoubtedly would rather be kissing--and not as a friend.

When she thanked Cliff it slammed him right back into reality, where the kiss was nothing more than a favor for her. For him, it was everything.

His family and Marshall's were all sitting and chatting around the long outdoor dining table, which was set with various colorful dishes. The aroma, as enticing as it was, did nothing to distract him from replaying the kiss in his mind again and again. How could he be expected to eat, to talk, to act normal when he was still reeling?

He put on a smile as he approached the table, Annie walking beside him to a pair of open seats. As everyone served themselves, no one seemed to notice his pounding heart, or that his hands were shaking as he unfolded his napkin over his lap.

The last time he'd kissed someone he'd been in high school. It was some girl at a party, in a game of spin the bottle one of his friends had somehow convinced him to join--it meant nothing, and until a few minutes ago Cliff assumed he'd go to his grave with that being the only kiss of his life.

"Cliff," Kenzie's voice drew him from his thoughts, had him blinking to clear his head. Most of the guests still talked around them, apart from Annie, Jack, and his Mom, who were seated closest. "Have you thought about sticking around after the wedding yet?"

He nodded, feeling a twinge of anxiety replace the remaining lust in his gut. He was wondering when this topic would come up again. Wondering when he might have to skirt around telling the full truth about his life.

"I, um... Well..."

How could he possibly go back to his life of reclusive solitude after this? He couldn't. Not now that he remembered how wonderful it was to be outside, to be with people--at least the ones who didn't mind his scars.

He'd contact his landlord, take a trip up there to get the rest of his things while Kenzie was away on her honeymoon, and officially move out. Back to the orchard. Back home where he belonged.

"I'd like to stay indefinitely, if it's alright with everyone."

The way Kenzie's face lit up was answer enough. "Are you serious? Yes! Of course it is! Like you even have to ask."

His mother leaned over, pressing a kiss into his hair. "I was hoping you'd say that."

Cliff looked over to Jack, who nodded with a smile.

Kenzie served herself some salad as Cliff reached for the plate of rolls. "One of us should drive you back to wherever you rented your car from, so that you don't have to pay for it anymore."

"Actually," he cleared his throat, focusing on serving himself to avoid the eyes of his family. "That's... it's my car. I bought it."

"You bought it?" Kenzie repeated. "What, did you have it shipped from Amsterdam?"