Chapter One

The Gryffindor envoy has stopped in the courtyard to the keep of Winterfell, the Stark homestead. The courtyard is a flurry of activity. Servants move around getting ready to accept their guests. Inside the carriage, Vaella and Godric wait. Considering that he agreed to this, Vaella can't help but note how nervous Godric looks. For his second betrothal. He's done all this before. Vaella raises an eyebrow at him and he shakes his head back. He doesn't really understand why he is so nervous himself. It wasn't so bad whilst he was still at Godric's Hollow, but it has been creeping up on him during the entire journey. It has been him and Vaella since she was eleven years old, and even before then, with her mother often bedridden, it left him to take care of her, it has been them for a long time, and now he is bringing Lyarra into the dynamic. Perhaps that is why he is nervous. He loves his daughter and he loves the bond they share, and throwing in a very young bride might just ruin that. He knows it is going to change everything. That everything is about to change. Vaella knows it too. And she knows she has a role to play. It comes from behind the daughter of a noble lord. It comes from being the only child of a noble lord. And perhaps even a future irrelevant one, if Lyarra and Godric have a son, then chances are that son will become the heir to Godric's Hollow. Not that Vaella cares. She has no interest in becoming the head of the Gryffindor house and Godric's Hollow, but if she has to, if it does fall to her, then she will do it and she will do it to the best of her capabilities. Her role is a shift in personality, and a timid approach to conversation. She's aware that her personality can be difficult for others to deal with. No one loves magic or history or animals the way she does and she can talk about them, a lot, and not everyone enjoys it as she does. She forgets that sometimes. Babbles on. then she is left alone. So she plays a role with lords and in the court. Keeps quiet and listens. Lets her father do everything. She doesn't mind. She can spend that time thinking about better things, more interesting things. The door to the carriage is suddenly opened, the cold sun of the north shining inside, as well as a brisk cold snapping breeze that reminds them how far north they have come. Vaella lets out a breath as she sets her book on the seat beside her. Godric adjusts his coat before he leans forward, closer to his daughter.

"You don't have to be perfect, Vaella," He tells her. "Just...."

"I know" She stops him. She knows what he means. A few days here, with the Starks. She has to behave herself. She is in someone else's house. She knows the rules. But these people are to be her family, she doesn't have to be perfect, just careful. "Polite" She voices and he nods, letting out a breath. Godric then climbs out first and Vaella takes a moment to adjust her cloak coat and take a deep breath before she looks down at the Chupacabra in her lap. "Well?" She asks, stroking her fingers over his head. "Shall we?" The creature coos and nuzzles into her palm. An affirmative answer to her question. She hums and nods, picking him up and setting him on her shoulder before she stands, stepping out onto the top step, her hand on the side of the carriage. The cold air really hits her. She misses the more liveable climate of her home. She shivers and wishes she had worn something with fur. Godric holds out his hand towards her and Vaella takes it, letting him help her down from the carriage. Directly opposite the carriage is their greeting party. Four of them. It's definitely not the whole Stark brood that has come out. Vaella knows there are a fair few of them. They have come up in her lessons. She is to take over Godric's Hollow eventually, hopefully, it makes sense for her to know who is who in regard to lords, ladies, and their offspring. But out of the nine Stark family members, only four have gathered to greet the Gryffindors. Eddard. Catelyn. Robb. And Lyarra are the only ones that are waiting for them. Perhaps not wanting to overwhelm them with people. They are the important ones, those that are going to be more heavily involved in the family. Eddard and Godric greet one another as if they are old friends, Vaella knows that there were some issues during Robert's Rebellion, there were bound to be given Godric and Naerys are both Targaryens and there were issues regarding revenge and retaliation, but after the fact, Naerys was too broken to think about revenge, and Godric didn't want to put more strain on his wife. They swore to Robert Baratheon and Naerys gave up any claim she might have on the Iron Throne, though she never actually wanted it. They lost their hold on the Westerlands, being forced to give it to the Lannisters, but they are alive, well he is still alive, and it kept Vaella alive. Godric turns to Vaella and gives her a look, which means she is already a step behind. He wants her to keep up with him. She swallows a little and moves to his side.

"Lord and Lady Stark" Vaella greets, folding her hands behind her back, clutching her fingers together. "Thank you for the invitation and your hospitality"

"We are happy to have you here" Eddard assures her. "Both of you" He adds and looks at Godric.

"What's that?" Robb asks pointing at the chupacabra on Vaella's shoulder. Vaella reaches up and touches the creature's head.

"A chupacabra" Vaella answers. "A baby one anyway"

"This is our son Robb" Eddard offers. "And of course, Lyarra...." Lyarra clutches to folded fabric, she looks as nervous as Godric does, but instead of stepping up to her soon-to-be husband, she steps up to his daughter, holding out the bundle for Vaella.

"I made this for you," Lyarra tells Vaella. "I hope that's alright...." Vaella takes the offered folded dress from her. "It's for you to wear to the ceremony, will you?" Vaella touches the top of the fabric and nods.

"Of course, I will" Vaella assures her. If that will help Lyarra feel more comfortable about this arrangement, if she is trying to bond, then Vaella will allow it. They will never have a mother-daughter bond, Lyarra is not her mother, but that doesn't mean it has to be terribly uncomfortable between them. "Thank you"

"Mistress?" Vaella turns to look at Pandey at her side, the house elf holding out his hands for the dress.

"Oh, thank you, Pandey" Pandey takes the dress from her. Robb and Lyarra glance at Pandey, likely never having seen a house-elf before. Only magical families can gain their loyalty. There aren't that many in the North. Especially as many go south to learn from the maesters in the Citadel, the men anyway. The women just have to cross their fingers and hope for the best, unless they have a wizard willing to teach them like Vaella did. Like Helga and Rowena had. They got lucky, but she has seen what those without guides can do. It's dangerous. Deadly. Vaella lets out a breath and stands up taller. Reminding herself that she is here to portray an image. Behind them, a young girl, the youngest Stark girl, Arya stands in the courtyard. She looks very disappointed.

"Where are the griffins?" Arya asks and they all turn to look at her. Catelyn turns a scolding look at her at the same time as a nearly identical one is given by Lyarra, but there is at least some amusement in her eyes.

"Arya" Catelyn scolds but Godric is far from offended. If he were in her shoes he would be more interested in winged beasts than a future brother-in-law. He crouches as Arya reaches them, staring up at him expectantly. It was the only thing that made her interested in her sister's upcoming nuptials. The possibility of griffins and magic that run through the Gryffindor line.

"Are you sure that's what you want to see?" Godric asks Arya who raises an eyebrow at him. He raises a teasing one back. "Most people can't handle them"

"I can handle them" Arya argues quickly. Godric hums and then turns to give Vaella a look, she smiles as she then reaches for her belt where a slim piece of metal hangs beside her wand holster. A whistle. She lifts it and presses it between her lips. It appears silent, but it is not for human ears to hear. Twin cries sound in the clouds above them, drawing every single set of eyes in the courtyard, and likely the village beyond, upwards. Arya's face cracks into a smile as two griffins descend, flying around one another. Showing off really. Vaella lowers the whistle and smirks a little, her eyes following them through the sky. There is something so peaceful about watching them frolic together. It reminds her of home too. Watching them together. They land on opposite sides of the courtyard. Talons grip to the stone, wings pulled in against their bodies. Godric stands and looks at the two griffins. "Blacktalon" Godric introduces as he points at the slightly larger griffon, with golden brown feathers and black talons as his name suggests. "And Skriax...." The silvery grey griffin shifts and lowers his head with a small growl.