Chapter Six

Note: I think there would be a Master of Arcane council position given the presence of magic in this version of the world. Not sure who I see in the position for Robert's council; perhaps it is empty or it has been empty all this time but he gives it to Vaella; though I can't see him wanting a Targaryen on his council. Maybe Helga (But I do see it being Vaella for Joffrey's council)

.....

There is a lot more activity in the courtyard as Skriax lands. Horses are saddled and there is a hand full of soldiers ready and armoured. Vaella slides from Skriax's back and glances around. She hasn't been gone that long but something has clearly happened since then. She glances over at Godric who is seeing to Blacktalon's saddle. It looks like she is not the only one who thought to take a ride in the clouds. He will be going with company though. Lyarra is close by, bundled up in furs. Whilst the North is cold, the air up in the clouds will be significantly colder, and she has been warned. She offers Vaella a warm smile and Vaella offers her one back. It will do them no good to be sour to one another at the end of the day.

"What's going on?" Vaella asks as Godric tightens the straps of Blacktalon's saddle. Godric glances over at the horses that are standing ready for riding.

"Deserter from the Night's Watch" Godric answers and turns back to Blacktalon. "It's the Warden of the North's duty to deal out justice" She snorts and rolls her eyes a little. Godric raises an eyebrow at her reaction. "Oh" He starts and turns to fully look at her. "I did not take you as a sceptic" He points out.

"I am not a sceptic" She argues. "I do believe that..." She sighs. "That there are things beyond the Wall that we should be scared of" She motions at the griffon in front of her and gives him a look implying the giant lizard that lives beneath their town. "The Watch...it's a dying order" She comments. "Perhaps their time has come and the deserter has realised that; he's come South to find something better" She smirks a little and shrugs. "Do you think I would be allowed to go with them?" She turns to watch Eddard as he leaves the keep with his sons and heads towards the horses waiting for them.

"You want to go and watch?" Godric counters, surprised that she would want to go and watch an execution.

"How often do we get to see executions?" She asks him. He gives her a look. They both know that they shouldn't be showing any sort of interest in execution. It might look bad on their characters. Anything could, to be honest. These people will clutch onto anything that might show the remaining Targaryens as villains. They don't need much to vilify them. She then runs across the courtyard to reach Eddard. "Can I..." Vaella stops and then clasps her hands behind her back. Calming herself down as Robb and Jon glance at her. "Can I go with you?" Eddard looks at her surprised.

"You want to join us?" Eddard asks her, making sure that he has heard her correctly. She hums and nods. Eddard glances at Godric behind her, his arms folded over his chest. He smirks back at Eddard. It is not his decision. She is a grown lady now. Capable of making her own choices. Eddard takes a deep breath and looks down at Vaella as she stares up at him, awaiting his answer. Those bold green eyes piercing into him. And he finds that he cannot tell her no. Even though it is not a woman's duty. Vaella will not be like other ladies though, she is to take over Godric's Hollow one day. She'll be a Lady in her own right if Godric has his way. "Very well" Eddard caves and she bounces a little where she stands. "I will be on Skriax" She points out and then turns to walk away from him. She smiles to herself as she climbs back onto Skriax's back. It is probably wrong for her to be excited about this. Someone is about to be killed. But they don't get that sort of thing back in Godric's Hollow. Execution is not Godric's preferred method of punishment. This is something new to her, a new culture of sorts. They do things differently and she wants to see it done. She's read about it in numerous books but it is different to see it herself.

......

Skriax yawns before curling up on the ground not that far from Winterfell. Vaella tugs off her gloves with her teeth as approaches where the Stark horses are coming to a stop before Eddard, Robb, Jon, Bran, along with a number of others from the house all dismount. A group of soldiers baring the Stark banner all await for Eddard. A prisoner, the deserter, bound with rope is brought forward. A lot of them eyeing up Skriax with some unease. Vaella cannot imagine that many, if any, have seen a griffon before. But Skriax is more interested in taking a nap while he waits. Less excited about this compared to Vaella. A pair of Stark guards bring the deserter towards the centre of the area where there is a very conveniently placed rock, about the right shape and size for a beheading.

"White Walkers....White Walkers....I saw the White Walkers....the White Walkers....the White Walkers....I saw them...." The deserter murmurs to himself as he is dragged forward. Vaella cocks her head a little. She wasn't expecting him to say something like that. She believes the stories, but the stories say that the White Walkers have been gone for years and years and years. And he doesn't seem to be lying about this. He believes what he is saying. The deserter looks up at Eddard. "I know I broke my oath. And I know I'm a deserter. I should have gone back to the Wall and warned them, but...I saw what I saw. I saw the White Walkers. People need to know" Eddard glances at Vaella to find her intently watching the deserter. The White Walkers are stuff of magic, turning to the only magically gifted individual among them seemed like the smartest thing for him to do.

"May I?" She asks. Eddard hums and then nods, watching as she moves towards the deserter. He lifts his eyes to look up at her when she pulls her wand from the holster on her waist. She wants to know if he is telling the truth. She lets out a breath, holding her wand between her fingers as she stares down at him. She knows a spell but she's never used it. Salazar taught it to her but Rowena warned him to stop, warned Vaella not to ever use that spell. That the spell was immoral. For the most part, magic that interferes with a person's mind or will are frowned upon. Salazar is a little more loose on those rules. Hence the spell. She knows it. In theory only. She takes a step back and slides her wand back into the holster on her waist. She isn't prepared to test her theoretical knowledge. If he is telling the truth, then he's been through enough. Eddard gives her a questioning look. She shakes her head, implying she got nothing from it.

"If you can get word to my family....tell them I'm no coward. Tell them I'm sorry" The deserter pleads with Eddard who looks uncomfortable about having to do this, he nods anyway. Eddard walks over to the Greyjoy boy they brought with them and pulls a large sword from the scabbard he holds. Ice. House Stark's ancestral greatsword.. He then goes over to the block and bows his head over the sword.

"In the name of Robert of the House Baratheon, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm, I, Eddard of the House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die" Eddard swings the sword and beheads the deserter. Vaella stares at the head as she processes the White Walkers. She wants and doesn't want to believe him at the same time. If true, then it is bad news. If it is a lie, then a mythical being is not real. And that pains her curious heart. 

Note #2: I just made up a thing for Vaella's outfits through season 1. She experiments a lot with fashion in King's Landing as she tries to discover her 'dress identity' as she is usually more tomboyish. By season 2, she'll have a sort of mix.