Chapter Four

Skriax unnerves some of the soldiers. He is large and can be menacing looking to those that don't know him or the creatures themselves. Vaella knows Skriax. He's a softy most of the time. Vaella holds the bottom of her dress up as she stands in front of her beloved creature. Trying to keep the dress clean. Lyarra put some real effort into making it, Vaella will be nice enough to not ruin it before the actual wedding ceremony. She wanted to get some time in with Skriax before she has to go to the Godswood to watch her father get married to a woman that is younger than even her. She understands why. He is forging political alliances. And she is very grateful to him for not forcing it on her. She is touched that he took the marriage deal for himself instead of her. Vaella lets out a breath and holds up her hand to Skriax who pushes his head forward to rest his beak in her palm. She smiles and gives him a little scratch. She's hoping that in a few days, they will be going home. The wedding behind them whilst giving Lyarra a few days to pack whatever she wants to take with her and to say goodbye to her family. It will be hard on Lyarra but Godric's Hollow is a nice place with nice people. Godric is a good man. Lyarra will adjust and adapt. Vaella is sure of it. The Starks all come across as strong individuals.

"Mistress" Pandey states and Vaella sighs before she turns to look at the house elf. She knows it is time to go to the Godswood. It is time for her father to get married. Vaella nods and drops her hand from Skriax's face. This is the moment that everything changes. Her family will change. She will gain a stepmother and a huge extended family on her side. There has to be something good to come out of this. 

.....

The Godswood has been decorated with lanterns for the wedding. It looks beautiful. But the most beautiful thing is actually Lyarra. She looks stunning in her long white dress and her silver fur collared cloak. Her hair has been curled and pinned up to cascade down her back with little dried flowers all woven in. It is the first time that Vaella has ever felt jealous of someone else's beauty. Vaella has never really been bothered about her appearance, but seeing Lyarra up there, she is seeing what real effort looks like. Perhaps she will look that beautiful if she ever gets married. She lets out a breath and brushes her hand down the front of her dress. It is clear that Lyarra made her own dress too. The details on the skirt and bodice are very Northern but there are little details there to honor her new husband. Griffon feathers embroidered on the sleeves alongside a wolf. Dragon scales on her belt.

"She looks beautiful" Vaella comments to Robb who stands at her side. He hums in agreement, but his eyes are on Pandey who stands between him and Vaella adjusting the bottom of Vaella's dress. Robb watches the house elf, curious and a little amused. They have some knowledge of magic because of Rowena, more so from their childhood when she would visit Catelyn more often. She had magic too. But she didn't have a house elf and she doesn't have the creatures that Vaella has. Even now, even in the middle of her father's wedding, she couldn't leave them behind. There is a bright blue feathered bird perched on her shoulder. A jobberknoll she'd called it. Every time he's seen her since she arrived, he has seen something new on her or in her hands. That's only three times, but it is four more magical creatures that he's ever seen, including the griffons. Vaella takes a deep breath as the end of the ceremony. It's been beautiful but simple. It isn't a huge affair. Just the Starks and the Gryffindors. Even Skriax and Blacktalon have been granted attendance. The two griffons are curled up on the other side of the weirwood tree.

"Let it be known that Godric of House Gryffindor and Lyarra of House Stark are one heart, one flesh, one soul. Cursed be he who would seek to tear them asunder." The Maester announces. "In the sight of the Old Gods, I hereby seal these two souls, binding them as one for eternity" He ties a ribbon tight together around Godric and Lyarra's hands. Binding them together. Literally and figuratively. Vaella lets out a breath. A weight, she didn't know she was holding onto, lifts from her. Perhaps the worry that her father might end up alone. He has Lyarra now. She doesn't have to worry about him having companionship. But it brings something else to Vaella too. Loneliness and the threat of it. With Godric married, it means that their relationship will likely change. He has a new focus, an important focus. There won't be the same amount of time for her as there was in the past. As it should be. Lyarra is going to be spending more time alone from now on. That hurts a little. She and Godric have always been close. She's scared that this might change.