Twenty-Nine

The process of everything coming together took over half the day. From saying goodbye to Emerald and River and their kids, as well as Eirenae and Kota (and even some other pack members I knew), packing the rest of my belongings I would need, carrying the boxes to the car — that was mostly everyone except me as my strength was shriveled like a raisin at the moment — and finally a last doctor's visit before we could get on the road. Xavier tried explaining to him that his pack had a doctor perfectly capable of monitoring our progress there, but the fight went in circles until I eventually cut them off and obliged by sitting down on the cot and pulling Kallie down next to me.

The scratches on my legs and arms from the trek through the woods were mostly healed. As were the wounds built up from months of torture. Kallie was doing great, too, according to the doctor and that all made Xavier not-so-subtly roll his eyes because obviously this check-over was more than pointless. The doctor ignored him as he examined us.

Kallie was stiff the entire time, trying her best not flinch or grimace from every move the doctor made — and he was cautious to be slow with her. The pure horror on her face was not concealed, however, so everyone in the room could see how she really felt about the whole thing. I hoped someday she wouldn't be afraid of doctors and nurses any longer, but that would take time. Probably lots of it. Maybe Everlee could help with that.

After marking some notes on his computer, the doctor turned to us in a final run of directions and suggestions. "I'm very pleased with how your bodies' immune systems have been covering you the last few days, but I would still take it easy and never push harder than is necessary. That includes lifting heavy items, straining yourself or any of your organs, especially your stomach. I know eating a lot sounds amazing right now, but please gradually build your meals back up."

I nodded throughout the entire list of suggestions. When he finished and asked for questions, only one popped up. "Can we shift?"

Xavier perked up, and Kallie looked at me expectantly.

The doctor wrung his hands together. "I don't see anything that should prevent it, but maybe take it easy on your other form's body as well. It all went through a lot recently."

Oh he has no idea. I thought as a shudder crawled down my spine, images flashing across my eyes of the fights, the races, the courses fought and ran and studied in both forms. I pushed it away before the feeling of Jacob's teeth in my skin could puncture through.

"Thank you, Doctor." I said as politely as I could muster, and a glare shot to Xavier encouraged the same of him, though his was more of a half-hearted grumble as he stood to lead us out the door.

Upon entering the waiting room, we were met with Isadora sitting in one of the chairs against the wall. She stood up as we walked in and instantly I ran into her arms, Kallie not far behind me.

"Isa!" I exclaimed, guilt gnawing in my gut that I had nearly left without thinking of her.

She grinned as she clung to me before briefly squeezing Kallie's shoulder. "Hey! I just wanted a chance to say goodbye, and to thank you both for everything you've done for me." She met my eyes with meaning, "both inside that cell and out. You've saved me in more than one way."

Tears pricked my eyes and I quickly blinked them away. "Do you want to come with us?" The thought of bringing her to the Rising Moon Pack had hit me suddenly at full force when I had seen her sitting in the waiting room.

Her laugh was light and airy, gratitude for the invite evident, but it was also obvious she was about to decline it. "Thanks, but I've actually remembered more every day, and I think I have enough to track down my pack! Alpha River is going to help me."