Part 2

Goku bit his lip tentatively. It was a surprise to him that Vegeta was even asking that question. Maybe he's trying to open up? The spiky haired man didn't know whether he should be happy that his friend was trying to talk or sad that he suspected him of pretence. Vegeta wasn't used to care or concern, Goku was sure about it. It would seem rather odd for the prince to have people genuinely care for him and with the life he had lived, his apprehensions were natural. Goku sighed. He had the urge to assure his friend, tell him that he would always be there for him but Vegeta was different. He was among those people who never trusted anyone easily. Words wouldn't convince him, only his actions would. In the mean time, he should at least attempt at words.

"Vegeta" he started softly "I understand why you think it's fake, but believe me, it's not. Maybe you're right, you're not like me. You're unique in the best way-"

"Best way?" Vegeta interrupted. "Kakarot, exterminating races isn't the best way of being unique" he scoffed. "I killed millions, wiped out entire races, I-" he stopped, ashamed of his own doings.

"That's in the past, Vegeta. Besides, it wasn't you, it was frieza. You were never one to be blamed. He is"

"What makes you say that? I have more blood on my hands than you could see in your lifetime. I killed innocent people which, if I'm not wrong, is opposed to your morals"

"If it is of any comfort to you, Vegeta, I killed my grandfather" Goku added remorsefully. The prince eyed the fellow Saiyan incredulously. Not something he had expected as a reply, for it sounded dumb, given the situation. Though, it was hard to imagine someone like Kakarot killing their own kin.

"Really?" Vegeta asked with a hint of hidden amusement which disappeared when his eyes fell on Goku's crestfallen face.

"I turned into an Oozaru, stomped him to death"

There was a brief silence. Goku seemed to be a little put off by the recollection and the prince was more than uncomfortable with the blabbering idiot's eerie silence.

"So you're not the only one who has innocent blood on their hands, Vegeta"

Vegeta frowned. "I don't think you get it, Kakarot. I killed millions... MILLIONS. You just killed your grandfather by accident. You weren't even in your senses. If you were, you'd never have done th-"

"If you were given a choice to do otherwise, would you still have killed all those people?" Goku interrupted in all seriousness. Vegeta was taken aback by the question. Would he still have killed all those innocent people if he had a choice? Surely he wasn't that bad, was he? No. He would never have done that. That wasn't a noble way for a prince. He was destined to battle them, be their equal and win over them. Only then would his actions be justified. But he killed the ones he did because he overpowered them. They were all weaklings, defenseless and nowhere near to even 5% of his power and he took advantage of their plight. For the first time in his life, the proud prince realised that it was he himself who had damaged his pride more than anyone did. He took the easy way, without fighting with honour. He had disgraced his title and his race. The price hung his head low in newfound shame.

"Would you, Vegeta?" Goku's voice was firm but Vegeta could sense the slight pleading in it, for him to prove his apprehensions wrong.

"No"

A soft, rather relieved smile tugged on Goku's lips. Vegeta couldn't help but feel satisfied with the assurance he had given. It felt right.

"You're not bad, Vegeta" Goku said softly, making the prince look at him. "When I said that I killed my grandfather, I wasn't comparing. To tell you the truth, it hurt more than imagining myself killing others. I never had a family to grow up with, Vegeta, just like you. I was all alone on a planet I grew up to call home. Grandpa Gohan found me and took me in. He did everything in his power to make sure I was safe and happy. I know that all sense of reality is lost when we become Oozarus, but I never thought I'd end up killing him. Losing someone you love because of your mistake is painful, it feels like I betrayed him.. it hurts" he paused for a moment "You killed people you don't know, so you wouldn't have felt the remorse back then. I understand why you killed that bald guy when you first came to earth. I know that Saiyans are a proud race of warriors and that the incompetent ones are killed off. I guess I know where you come from"