Chapter 1

Ashley's POV

Ring! Ring! The final bell trilled throughout the classroom. A flurry of movement sprang up as students hastily stuffed their belongings into their bags. I sighed in relief. Finally! I thought English is over. I slung my backpack over my shoulder preparing to leave the class.

"Students, hand in your worksheets to the front before you leave...Have a good weekend!" Mrs. Brown, my English teacher, called out.

I absentmindedly handed my paper to the student in front of me and rushed off the school campus, making my way home. It was around three in the afternoon, and school had just ended, and since it was Friday, many students were leaving in groups to, I don't know, hang out? I mean, I don't have friends so no one to hang out with. Yay?

My name is Ashley Williams. I am 15 and study at Goode High School. I just moved to New York a few weeks ago and thus just started attending Goode. Being the new kid, I did not know many people and mostly spent my time alone. I live with my mother (who is a single parent) in an apartment near my school. My mother is always moving us around claiming the reason be her "work" but I knew she was hiding something, I just didn't know what. I have never met my father and never seen a photograph. For all I know he might not even be alive. But my mother always says that he will come back for me. Someday.

I walked briskly in the direction of my home, my straight black hair flying in all directions. I clutched my textbooks to my chest, panting as I finally reached the entrance of the apartment. I balanced the textbooks precariously against my thigh as I dug out my keys from my pocket.

Twisting the key, I heard the satisfying Click! and walked into the empty living room. Like most afternoons, I was home alone. My mother was rarely at home, juggling two jobs to make ends meet.

I set my things down in my room and slumped into my desk chair, pulling out a crumpled overdue English assignment from my backpack. Sighing, I began to decipher the instructions. I tapped my fingers against my desk and my foot against the floor simultaneously, the words on the paper seemed to blur and swirled in my mind. If you couldn't tell, I had ADHD and dyslexia.

"Ugh!" I complained, setting down my pencil. "This is so hard..." I muttered. Stupid dyslexia...

I picked up my phone and began scrolling pointlessly, seeing pictures of students with their friends laughing and hanging out, carefree. I felt a pang of jealousy. I bit my lip, I was never invited to any parties, hangouts whatsoever. Consequence of moving around too often, I guess.

Going to the park. Be home by 6. I texted my mother.

(time skip)

I was sitting beside the pond at the park, listening to the occasional sound of water hitting the edge, like mini waves. For some reason, water always calmed me or helped me to focus. Breathe in. Breathe out.

I peered into the pond staring at the golden orange koi. They swam gracefully, with their fins glistening in the fading sunlight.

"Hello fishy," I whispered into the pond.

'sup a voice said in my brain. Wait, did it just... respond?!?

Out of the blue, a shadow cast over me. I tensed up, swerving my head. Before my eyes, was a giant dog-like creature with gleaming red eyes. Enormous sharp fangs gritted as the creature growled, seemingly ready to pounce on me. I was frozen to the spot, heart in my throat, palpitating wildly. My eyes were as large as saucers, filled with fear.

Just then, five other dog-like creatures emerged from the shadows, circling me, and blocking any exits.

I was surrounded.

--------------------------------------------------------

A/N

Hi everyone, this is my first fanfic. So pls don't judge lol. I hope you like it!