Chapter 3

Ashley's POV

I managed to expertly dodge a flying slice of pie, pulling off some crazy ninja move at the Hermes table. That place was a total madhouse with all the new demigods turning up at the Hermes cabin until they got claimed. It was like a never-ending party, complete with pie projectiles.

It had been a while since I invaded CHB, and I'd been on an activity marathon. Non-stop, action-packed adventures that left my legs begging for mercy and my arms feeling like they'd been melted down into goo. However, I wasn't that weak, I wasn't about to back down from a challenge. I pushed myself to the limit, taking on every crazy thing they threw.

Being the genius I was, I decided to conquer the lava wall, thinking I was the next Spider-Man or something. And guess what? I totally aced it. Well, aced falling off it, that is. I set a new record by plummeting to the ground in a blazing 30 seconds. No big deal, I'm amazing. I know, I'm basically an Olympic-level klutz.

So there I was, sitting at the Hermes table, my hands all blistered from the adventures of the day. With the excessively expensive silverware, I poked the sorry excuse for a pastry on my plate. I chucked my fork aside like a boss, suddenly losing my appetite.

Within seconds, the mood turned sour and cold. A black put opened in my stomach as thoughts about never being claimed and the troubled that lay before me rushed through my exhausted mind. What if I never get claimed? I was supposed to be claimed like 2 years ago. Is there something wrong with me? There's definitely something wrong with me. I'm going to die. I'm dead. Oh shit, my godly parent is probably some minor God, that's why it's taking so long for me to be claimed. Oh no I'm dead I'm actually dead. My nails reached for my arms and I began to scratch my forearm, a habit that happened when I got anxious.

I exercised considerable restraint, refraining from incessantly scratching my arm until rivulets of scarlet began to form. With a composed demeanor, I reclined in my seat and inhaled deeply, allowing a wave of tranquility to wash over me. My discerning gaze swept across each individual seated at my table, deciding that them not being good enough to be claimed was a low bar to set.

Instead, I shifted my attention to my glass. With a nonchalant flick of my wrist (makes it cooler than just saying it), I said, "Vanilla Coke," and just like that, the liquid miracle appeared in all its caramel-brown glory.

Honestly, even after a few days in this place, I still couldn't wrap my head around the whole magic and superpowers gig. It felt like I'd stumbled into some alternate universe where anything was possible. But you know what? I said, "Screw it," and went for it anyway. I grabbed that glass like a fearless warrior, not giving a damn if it was safe or not. I took a solid gulp, the fizzy concoction tickling my taste buds and sending waves of pure satisfaction down my throat.

I smiled at the familiar taste of fizzy vanilla, just like I would drink during light night study sessions waiting for my mother to get home. I turned to the chaotic conversation and decided not to worry about things that weren't in my control.

A/N so I decided to update for fun ig