Chapter One

“It’s time for your Arriving Day story!” Henry called to Bard as he eagerly dragged Bard toward the meeting hall. “I can’t believe it’s your twenty-first arriving day!”

“Yeah, and it’s the same every year. I don’t see why you’re excited to hear the same story for the twenty-first time.” Bard chuckled.

“Your story is different than everyone else’s.” Henry explained. “Everyone else came here because they had issues with the world outside the forest convent. I don’t blame them. I like being a forest monk better than what I used to be.” He continued.

“That’s true; however, it would be nice to see what’s out there.” Bard admitted.

“You’re really not missing much.” Henry said tilting his head toward Bard. “It’s just a bunch of devastation and destruction disguised as pleasure.”

“I guess you’re right. I really wouldn’t fit in anyway.” Bard sighed.
Being the last two to arrive, Bard and Henry took seats near the back since it’s tradition for the those to get to a place first to sit furthest from the entrance, and the back was the closest to the door.

“Gentlemen, welcome to Bard’s twenty-first arriving celebration.” The head monk announced. “We will now proceed with the story.” Many monks turned to look at Bard. Most of them heard this story before. In fact, Bard wagered that everyone knew it already. Of course, everyone knew everyone’s story because the stories are always told on that person’s Arriving Day. Arriving Day is basically their version of a birthday. It was the day you were born into the forest monk family. You didn’t get treats or presents but were honored with the retelling of your story. “Twenty-one years ago, I found Bard under a tree lying on some moss. I wouldn’t have known he was there if the Tide Pool of Time hadn’t shown me he would be there that night. He was such a quiet baby. Ha, he’s still pretty quiet.” The head monk continued. The other monks nodded or grunted in agreement. Bard felt himself sigh inwardly. Everyone was fairly quiet around here. That’s just part of being a monk. The head monk then continued the story. “I took him home with me and have raised him to this day. He has turned into a fine young monk.” The other monks nodded and grunted just as they’d done before. After the retelling, everyone was dismissed. Some monks stayed to congratulate or compliment Bard. Bard smiled slightly and nodded respectfully to each one as they conversed with him. This whole event was a drag. Finally, the formalities ended allowing Bard to seek out the head monk.

“Sir, when you saw my arrival predicted in the Tide Pool of Time, did you see who left me there?” Bard asked once they were alone. He knew the head monk didn’t like talking about life outside the convent when others were around.

The old monk sighed. “It didn’t, nor does it matter. Your family is here. Your home is here. Everything you need is here.”

“Yes, and your words are wise.” Bard answered then paused.

“But?” The head monk asked.

“I still want to know. I’m just curious.” Bard confessed.

“Curiosity can be the beginning of innovation or the vice that brings down a mighty man.” The monk countered.
Bard frowned. It was always like this. There was never any good or wise reason to seek anything from the outside world. Suddenly, Bard thought of something new. “Father?”

“Yes, my son.”

“If there is so much bad in the world, shouldn’t we investigate it and help change it?” Bard inquired.

The head monk looked at Bard. “That’s what I’m doing. I’m providing a sanctuary for those who seek to do good in this world. We can create a better world here. Those sick of the outside come here and change for the better.”

Bard looked down at the ground unconvinced.

“Bard, we can’t completely change the outside world. That’s not within our power. We can only help people change who want to change.” The head monk explained further. “It’s not that we don’t want to help. It’s really that those people aren’t ready to accept our help.”

“I see. That makes sense.” Bard nodded.

“It seems the wise thing is to stay.”

“Yes, that is wise.” The monk then smiled. “It’s always wise to get some rest.” He winked at Band then walked off.

Bard laughed to himself and walked home. After twenty-one years, it was now easy to sleep here – and sleep he did.