Chapter 5

The boys' having completed their various tasks, the girls and them gathered in the common room to wait for their leader. Motley grinned lazily at Peaches and nodded to Gin, still mad with her from the time she'd tried to slip him Amaretto. His eyebrows hadn't grown back until the next month.

"So it's true then? Dyse's back in town?" Peaches called to Gin.

The boys offered up offended looks.

"We could've told you!"

"You think we'd've led you on a wild goose chase?"

"Why would we lie about Dyse being back?"

Gin smirked. "Yup."

Peaches grinned, and the quintet realized she'd wanted them to uproar, and give her the information she needed.

Nip rolled his eyes at her. He was the only one besides Odysseus who could, as Peaches normally tried to bite the head off anyone who tried. She just shrugged at him, her expression clearly saying I played you. Own up to it. You know what else I would do.

°°°

Finally, hours later (though really only 5 minutes), Odysseus stepped into the room, silencing the seven or so people gathered there. He wore a white t-shirt and black camo pants, with a scabbard strapped to his side. In it was a sword, yes, but any respecting street gang leader would have a sword. It was flashy but powerful, and practical besides. Plus it made him look handsome.

"Dyse!" The silence was broken by Peaches, who started slow clapping. Gin joined her, and one by one the rest of the boys followed. Odysseus shook his head, smiling, and bowed.

"Thank you, thank you. I'm honored you care so much!"

"Care!" Gin exclaimed. "You told everyone in the Upper West Side you were going away, we didn't have a clue where, and now you come back, not even a proper hello, send nitwits to fetch us, and here we are! Of course we fudgin' care, I'd say we care too much!" Her anger and sadness and happiness was a torrent bursting forth, engulfing her in a flickering fire that wouldn't be extinguished until the last word was said. She sat back on the cushions, breathing heavily, and York patted her back tentatively.

Odysseus looked so sad for a moment they all forgot who he was. He looked so much like a little boy, like the little boy he'd been, scared and alone, with nowhere to go. But in the split second it appeared, it was gone.

"Look, Gin, Peach, even my boys—I'm deeply sorry for what I did. It wasn't right but time was of the essence, and it was of the utmost importance I was where I was. I will give answers, but for now Pen's in danger and needs our help. We're her best friends. We must help her."

At this, they all glance outside. The sky was darkening, but it was still light, and they needed complete darkness or they'd be caught.

Odysseus turned back to the ragtag crew assembled before him.

"Alright, I need status updates from everyone. Motley, you first."

"The Burness' are throwing a party and invited Nell's fam, but it was kind of last minute. Thank God they weren't priorly hooked up. Mrs. B mentioned it was exclusive, bam. Close call though."

Odysseus nodded and turned to Jax.

"All laddered up, Bossman. We're good to go. Unless someone takes it down, of course. But that won't happen."

Scale cracked his knuckles in a threatening manner. Then he grinned and the effect was broken. They all laughed, scared of what sundown would bring.