Chapter 6

It was way after dark, and the cluster of rescuers was just now making it to Nell's mansion across the town, in Wysteria Woods. None of them got rich neighborhood names.

Scale scowled as he glanced up at the tall marble building.

"Nell's room's on the 3rd floor. Remind me again how we get up? That rope doesn't look like it can reach a tree branch."

Motley glanced at the small expanse of rope wrapped around a piece of wood.

"Let's give Jax a chance. After all, it's the only way to reach Nell."

Jax nodded and stepped forward. He shook out the ladder, which was barely taller than Nip, the shortest in the group. Gin winced, all of them hoping that wasn't it.

"What you do is pull this hang knot, here, see?" He pointed to a small noose at the base. Tugging at the cord, it slipped free, and the rest of the ladder fell. It was several pieces of wood tied together with a length of rope, barely high enough. It swayed in the wind, looking for all the world as if it were about to fall like a house of cards.

"We need an incredible agile person to climb this thing, exceptionally light, and small. They have to be steady."

Everyone simultaneously looked at Nip. He tossed back his hair and frowned.

"I'm not getting on that death trap. I'll break my legs!"

"You're the nimblest one here, Nip. Please. Please, I need my Pen back." Odysseus begged, his eyes dark and sad. Nip sighed, knowing he would cave. Didn't he have that look every time he looked at Peaches; knowing she could never be his?

"Alright." He shook his head and gestured for the rope. Jax smirked and pulled his arm back, launching the ladder at the window. It hit just below the sill and stuck as if by magic. Jax grinned and bowed to Nip, who rolled his eyes and grabbed a log, beginning to climb.