Prologue - On The Road

"Stay here. Don't move. Wait for me," she heard her father say to her momma, before she stepped into the car. He was finally coming back home after spending the last months in Washington D.C. working in the brain mapping center for the president.

She loved that he was making a career and a different reputation for himself, but she missed him, more than anything in the world. The past couple of months it had been just her, Zola, Bailey, and their momma, and as much as she loved them, nothing was the same without him around.

Nadira was just five years old when her father moved to Seattle after he had found her mother sleeping with his best friend, her godfather. It was disappointing to say the least, what happened between all of them.

They made wrong choices, they all did.

Yes, her mother and godfather made the worst mistake, but her father was in the same boat. He had made the wrong choices by not telling Meredith about her mother. By begging her to not tell Meredith about her mother. By cheating on her mother with Meredith.

So, when her mother was contemplating whether to go to Los Angeles or not, she encouraged her to go. She knew her mother wasn't happy in Seattle, she knew the woman needed a new start, in a new place. But Nadira didn't want to join her. She loved Seattle and decided to stay there, with her dad and momma. So, they made an agreement that she would be spending every holiday with her mother. They were all happy that way. It worked out for the better.

"You're ready?" her dad asked her as he entered the car.

"I think the more important question is: 'Are you ready for this?'" she countered. "It's a big step for you."

He took a deep breath as if he was somehow deep down still contemplating whether he was ready to give his big dream up. But he was ready, she knew it and he knew it. He knew that this was the right thing to do. For him, for his relationship and for their family. This was the right choice.

"Yes, I'm ready. Let's do this."

The relationship between her and her father had been great up until the point he and Meredith started fighting about moving to D.C.. She understood his position of taking his career to the next level but was on her stepmother's side. And that took a toll on his part.

"You're still mad, are you?" her dad asks when he noticed she kept looking everywhere around her except at him.

She scoffed. "Damn right, I am."

"Look, Didi-"

"Don't call me that. Not now."

"Look," he sighed, "Nadira, I know I made a mistake, but I'm gonna do everything in my power to make it up."

"It isn't like this is your first mistake."

She couldn't believe her ears when she heard that her father had cheated, again. That Meredith had been right, and that history had repeated itself.

"See dad, it's becoming harder to believe you."

"I know."

"So, why?"

"It- it just... happened."

"It just happened?!" She was infuriated. How could he kiss another woman and say, 'it just happened'? What kind of asshole would do that? It's like she no longer knew the man who was supposed to be her dad.

She had never been this mad at him before. Not even when he cheated on her mother. Not even when he 'forgot' to tell Meredith that he kissed the scrub nurse. Not even when she found out he kissed the fellow.

His reaction was the last straw.

"I can't even... I can't even look at you right now, dad."

"I know."