Chapter 2 - Office Confessions

"I wanna leave", was the first thing she said as she walked into her mother's office at the practice in sunny Los Angeles.

She found her mom accompanied by Cooper, and her favorite doctor and person in the world, Charlotte.

"You just got here like an hour ago", the blonde said in her cutesy Southern Drawl.

Charlotte King was the sexualogist and urologist at the practice. The first time Nadira had visited Los Angeles, the Alabama native hadn't even been working there yet. Back then she was still Chief of Staff at the local hospital.

Her mother had been called into an emergency surgery and both she and Charlotte had observed the entire thing from the gallery. They had gotten to know each other a bit in the seven hours the surgery had taken.

But it wasn't until years later that they had grown closer together. Nadira was once again visiting her mother. As she was hanging out at the hospital, she overheard a family member of a patient lashing out on the Chief.

Earlier that day she'd heard from her friend Cooper that the woman was having a hard time, and looking at her face back then, the scolding was the last straw.

Nadira had walked up to the patient once Charlotte was out of sight, or that's what she thought at least. And to this day still knew her exact words she had said to the man in question:

"Hi sir, I have no idea who you are or why you're here, but that doesn't matter to me. What matters to me is the way you spoke to that woman doing her job, doing everything she can to uphold this facility and save the lives of many.

"Now, I understand that not everything may go according to plan, but that's life. And what matters to me is that you try to understand that without the woman you just spoke to that way, you wouldn't be here. You would be in the morgue.

"So, please take that into consideration as you weigh your options on whether to speak nicely to her or as an asshole. Thank you."

She had left the man speechless, out of words to speak, just as she liked it. As she turned the corner to go to the cafeteria, she'd stumbled upon Charlotte who gave her a big hug. She hadn't known it back then, but the woman wasn't very big on physical touch, so this gesture was huge.

"Not the practice per se," Nadira continued.

"You wanna go back to Seattle? You were there three days ago," Cooper jumped into the conversation.

Cooper was the fun guy at the practice. He was her doctor here in Los Angeles. Even now that she was almost nineteen, she kept the pediatrician rather than to make the move to Dr. Bennett.

He was the first person she really got along with, he made her feel at home in a city so far from it. He made her laugh and smile on days when she really couldn't bring herself to. Cooper made her feel safe.

"I wanna leave the country," she stated.

The simple statement drew the attention of the three doctors in the room. Wanting to leave the country wasn't as light as she presented it. It was something big, life changing, for everyone involved.

"What?" It was the first time her mother had said something and she didn't seem too excited with her announcement.

Nadira had no idea what to respond. So, she just stood there with a painful smile, moving her weight from left to right and back around.

"I want to leave the country?", she said hesitantly.

"Excuse me? where does this come from?" Her mother wasn't the least bit excited. Quite literally the opposite.