The car is...

Mishka

The car is quiet all the way home. But not the earlier quiet. The different quiet. The quiet that screams: you'll never talk to me again.

He parks at my gate. What did I do? I just comforted him.

"Get out. I never wanna see your face ever again."

"Why?" I ask, looking over at him. For the longest while I've been numb. But tonight, hurt seep into my bones like a disease. "Did I do something?"

"No. You know maybe you're right. You aren't so good-looking, Mishka."

I swallow. "What?"

"Your eyes are big. Fucking big and watery. And you're teeth aren't the prettiest either. Tell me, why would I want to hang around you?"

My eyes water even more, and I wish they'd stop. "Really. You kissed me..."

"Yeah, I was horny."

"Goodbye." I climb out of the car, hearing a faint "shit," as I slam the door. But I just heard things—he didn't say that.

"No, Kitara. It's five. Five is the answer." I groan.

My little sister erases what she has and puts the correct answer on her homework.

"Stop being so mean to your sister!" Mom continues, "or I'm gonna let them take her away..."

My head snaps to hers at the mention of that. Trisha is always guilt-tripping me. Always saying she'll let child services take my sister away if I don't do what she wants.

Angry, I climb up off the ground and run upstairs.

Inside the bathroom, I strip my clothes off and go sit in the discoloured tub of cold water, hugging my knees.

"No. You know maybe you're right. You aren't so good-looking, Mishka."

"Your eyes are big. Fucking big and watery. And your teeth aren't the prettiest either. Tell me, why would I want to hang around you?"

I press my nose against my arm, a tear rolling down my face.

"Hey, girl, hurry up, I need to pee!" Trisha calls outside. "We can't keep stealing water here, so find a job soon! Come on, I'm spraying all over the floor!"

"Are you on your period? There's a red stain on your chair?"

I look back. Seeing that in fact, there is a red stain.

"Thanks." I smile at the freckled-face girl. She nods and turns to walk out of the class.

I call out to her. "Hey, um, do you have...any..."

She looks at me and shakes her head. "Yeah...but only tampons..."

I can't use that...I hate them.

"Oh...okay..."

She purses her lips and walks away. I sigh, shaking away the feeling of dread seeping over me.

Luckily, I'm the only one left here. I'll wait at the back of this lab, until most of the kids clear out of the school, and then I'll leave. I'll walk home.

I make my way to the back and squat with my bag on my lap. I wince as I look down at the scab on my knee. It's opening again.

I press my forehead against my arm.