RJ treats me...

Mishka

RJ treats me okay at school. No, he treats me good. We eat together, chat all through lunch; at every chance we get. I'm a loner, but I don't look like a freak now that I've been hanging out with him. I don't see him hang out with his rebellious friends anymore. The lot of them always seem like wanna-be rebels. Except for RJ. His story isn't unrealistic. He's really living a bad life.

I can't forget the other night. The night he and his brother cried. It's been on my mind. I wish I could help them overcome what's been weighing on them.

"Later. Thanks for the ride..." I tell RJ, and he nods as I climb out of his ride.

He waits until I get on my porch before he drives away.

When I get inside, Trisha is sitting on the couch, smoking.

"Hey, you're early." She says with a smile. "Had you been earlier you'd have been there to see my new lover..." She dances. "He's coming back tonight anyway."

I slump my shoulders. "Who's for next week?"

"What?" She calls out as I climb the stairs. I don't bother answering. I was talking to myself anyway.

When has she ever cared about me?

My sister, Kitara, is sitting in her room playing with her dolls. I think she's too old for it. She's six, but talks like an adult. It's Trisha's fault; she doesn't exercise good mother behaviour.

"You're late, bitch." Kitara grins.

I sigh and peel my bag off my arm. "I told you to stop saying that."

"But you and mum say it all the time."

"Yeah, but we're older." I sit on the bed, slipping my sandals off my feet.

She sighs. "Isn't Rico talking to you anymore?" She tilts her head. "Mum says he left you because you can't fuck. Is that true?"

"Stop it. And no, it's not. Do your homework."

"Stop talking to your sister that way! I'll let them take her away!" Mum shouts on the bottom floor. "Stupid bitch..." I swear she just muttered.

See? That's why Kitara will never stop cursing like an adult.

"Finish playing with your dolls." I tell her and press my back against the bed.

I stare up at the ceiling, already missing RJ.

RJ

"Is this all the stuff you brought?" JR asks me.

When he looks at me like that, he reminds me of our old man. And then our old man reminds me of Mama and Layla. Fuck, I can't move on. I feel like an immobile rock.

"You listening?"

I nod and sigh. "Yeah. It's all we got left."

"Alright." JR gives the guys the bag of 'candies,' collecting each of their money while scoping up and down the street.

The guys look to be in their late teens, early twenties, and early thirties.

"You didn't get that from me." JR tells the guys, lifting his cap and rubbing his head.

"Thanks. We'll hit you up if we need anything more," the leader, Rocky Crow, says, before he begins to leave out of the deplorable yard, along with his crew.

JR and I watch as they reverse out of the lot and speed down the street.

He looks over at me. "You're cooking tonight." He sniffs and rubs his nose, walking past me and inside.

I follow after him.

Mishka

At night, Trisha's lover comes. He's a bit thinner than all the other guys before. He has a faint beard and this very creepy smile.

I already don't like him. Kitara doesn't like him either. She says he looks like a skinny ex-convict. I tell her it's wrong to judge people.

But when he says at dinner: "I got this tattoo in prison. Man, the geezers came at me like a flood. Fought my way out..." He grins proudly, while Mum watches him as though he's serving for our country.

—I just know, that Kitara was right...

I push the dry carrots around on my plate.

"Your big daughter is quiet..." He whispers to Mum after a while.

"Don't mind her. Teenagers just want a first glimpse of cock and then they lose their minds." Mum winks.

"But...but you said Mishka never gets any cock." Kitara says, looking confused.

Mum's boyfriend laughs. "Jesus Christ."

"Stop it!" I yell at my sister.

"Don't yell at me!" She screams back.

"Don't yell at your sister, Mishka, I'll let them take her away!" Mum says, pointing the hinges of her fork at me.

My eyes water as I glare at my sibling. Not that I'm angry at her for yelling at me. Just angry she's growing up this way. Because of Trisha.

"She shouldn't be cursing." I say.

"Yeah, well you curse too. Let her curse if she wants." Mum pushes her stiff hair over her shoulders. "My God, soon she'll be riding cocks, too. She's gonna grow up one day..." She shrugs and smiles at Sanford, her man.

Sanford chuckles and looks at me. "Your mum's a piece of work. Should have known since she cooks good nosh. Don't listen to her. Kids swear all the time. They grow out of it."

I swallow. "Well, I hope she grows out of being a whore too..." I mutter and get up, walking out of our living room/dining area.

"I'm gonna kick that bitch out one day..." I hear Mum mutter.

Sanford laughs. "She takes after you."

I enter my room and sit myself on my bed. I stare down at my plastic sandals, wrinkling my toes.