"Got everything?" I...

Mishka

"Got everything?" I ask JR as he puts his backpack on his back. He's leaving now for the army. He looks the same. He's always had his head shaved, so there isn't much difference. Except the fact, that he's now practically a soldier.

"Yeah, thanks, Mishka."

I smile sadly. "You look...you look fine."

"Trying to be. I'm worried for RJ, but you'll hold him down, yeah?"

"I will. I promise. It's not a burden. It's not a task. It's more something I need to do...I want to do. I have to do. Because I love him."

JR smiles, hearing that. "Thank you. Always so optimistic."

I nod. I know why JR has to do this. He feels he owes it to Layla. I think it'll help him heal. It'll help him to cope. And if it's his choice, it's whatever makes him sleep better at night. I hope it does. I'll pray for him.

RJ comes down with JR's hand luggage and passes it to him.

He looks so sad, my heart breaks. "Take care. And write to me everyday. You promise."

"I promise." JR chuckles. "Don't worry. This is better than selling drugs. We don't have to worry about people overdosing..."

RJ smiles slightly. He loves his brother so much. "Love you, wanker."

"Love you more, wanker." JR says back, and they hug each other.

A long, brotherly hug.

"Did you tell the guys?" RJ asks as he moves away.

JR nods. "Mm. They're fucking mad at me. I'll write them an apology letter..."

RJ's mouth tilts.

We follow JR out to the gate. He'll drive RJ's car to the Capital Station, and then RJ will pick it up tomorrow. I'll go with him.

We stand on the pavement, watching as he walks to the car with his luggage and cap.

He stops at the driver's door. "I almost forgot!" JR dips into the pocket of his jeans and tosses RJ a key. He catches it effortlessly.

RJ peers down at the key, and then back up at his brother. "What's this?"

"A key to Mum's getaway house. It's one of the few things she's left. You should move out there for a while. You and Mishka."

RJ nods. "Thank you, JR."

"Yeah, I'll text you the address when I get to the Capital." He diverts his gaze to me, tips his cap off his head and slants it to me. "Thank you for being born, Mishka. You're a blessing to me and my brother."

My heart swells, and I allow my lips to stretch across my face. "Keep safe."

"You both too." He climbs into his car, and we watch him as he reverses out of the lot. One more beep, a glance from him through the top mirror with tears in his eyes, and then he's gone, speeding down the road.

RJ and I pack up on Sunday. We're going to his Mum's getaway house. It's near a nice beach. It's not big based on the photos JR sent, but it's cute. There are neighbours there, a town and everything, and it's not far away from school.

We'll live there for a while, until JR gets deployed back here, and then we'll come home. We'll go back again if JR leaves again.

We drive down the road of Sutton city, hand in hand, listening to Country music on the radio.

The sun is beautiful. It's setting, a tinge of orange behind the horizon.

I let the breeze rush through my hair, and I look behind, watching the city fade away the farther we go.

"Mishka?" RJ says quietly. "I think I love you."

I bring my eyes to him. "...what?"

"I love you. You've been there for me. I don't see myself wanting anybody else. I love you, Mishka. It has to be love. If it's not love, the way I feel for you, the way I feel when you look at me, when you tell me that everything is okay...I don't know what it is."

"I think I love you, too. We'll find out together. Just stay by my side okay?"

"I will." He says, "I always will."

I smile from my heart. I smile and really mean it. "Then that's enough for me."

He looks over at me, a smile alighting his face, and we look ahead, driving farther down the smooth road, into the blazing sun, and leaving our pasts behind.

The End