Chapter Nine

The banging on the front door frightened her even more than the whispering had

The banging on the front door frightened her even more than the whispering had. What were they doing? Why were they banging on the door? What was the point in whispering in the living room and then banging on the front door?

"Johnson Police." She could hear a man's voice through the door. "Everyone okay?"

The police! 911 was here! She almost collapsed with relief. She ran to the bedroom door and ripped it open. She sprinted down the hall to the front door, terrified the axe murderers would be waiting for her in the living room, but also gambling that they would be startled by the arrival of the police, and she would be able to make it to the front door and the safety of Johnson's finest.

"Here! I'm here!" She struggled to get the door open. "Help me!"

She pulled the door open and was about to rush out onto the porch into the arms of Dadcop, who motioned her to the side with a tip of his head. His hand was on his weapon, but it was still holstered.

"Is someone inside?" Drivercop, who was a few steps behind, asked her. Dadcop was already entering.

"Yes, but I don't know where they are," she whispered urgently.

He nodded and stepped in front of her, his eyes on Dadcop and the room beyond. He bent his head, still watching the interior of the house and said something into his radio.

A pair of headlights moved rapidly down the street and Leo's truck pulled into the driveway somewhat recklessly. The vehicle was barely stopped when the door opened, and he rushed out. He ran up the sidewalk, taking in cops, house, Emily, everything.

Emily was suddenly aware of standing on the front porch in an extra large t-shirt and yoga pants. She was freezing. And yet, the sight of Leo flooded her with warmth. Without even thinking about it, she rushed to meet him halfway, wrapping her arms around him, out of pure relief.

If he was surprised by that, he didn't show it. He pulled her in tightly and said, "It's okay. It's okay."

She could feel the tension in his body as he hugged her. He was understandably concerned, and she had dragged him out of bed yet again. She should feel bad about that, but she didn't. She felt relieved that he was here. Safer. She nodded, unable to trust her voice.

"Here. You're freezing." He stripped off his coat and wrapped her up in it. It retained his body heat, like getting hugged from all sides. He enclosed her in his arms again. "You okay? What happened?"

"I heard them," she mumbled into his chest. He smelled like soap and safety and she could feel his strong heartbeat against her cheek. And why was she thinking about how he smelled and how he felt? She was terrified. Why was that not foremost in her mind? "They were talking. It wasn't geese."

"Okay. It's okay," he said softly. "What happened? What did you hear?"

"I—" She shook her head, burrowed deeper into his chest.