Chapter Twenty-One

The bell on the door of Diana's rang as Emily entered

The bell on the door of Diana's rang as Emily entered. Her heart was pounding so hard she could barely hear the soft Christmas music playing in the background. Diana Teagan looked up from the rack of dresses she was straightening. She recognized her right away.

"Leo's friend!" She came over, smiling. "Emma?"

"Emily." She smiled awkwardly. "I was wondering..."

"The red?" Diana's smile grew. "Not so good with names, but I never forget a dress."

Emily laughed and nodded. "Yes. Do you think I could—"

"Absolutely, I do!" The older woman winked. "You look like a ten?"

"Ha! Maybe in my dreams." Emily blushed. "Fourteen."

"Open your coat." Diana raised an eyebrow and gave her another up and down look. "No. You're a ten. Fourteen at WalMart, maybe."

She disappeared into the back and when she came back, the dress was in her hands. She nodded toward a door with a wreath and bells adorning it. "Try it on."

Diana was right. The ten was a perfect fit. She stepped out of the dressing room to get a look in the tri-view mirrors.

"Beautiful!" Diana made a slight adjustment with the jeweled straps on the back.

"Wow." Emily turned, looking at all angles. "This looks fantastic!"

"And how does it make your feel?" Diana grabbed her hair and gave it a twist, holding it up at the back of her head, as if she had a French twist.

"It makes me feel fantastic!" She breathed. "It makes me feel like I could..."

"Like you could do anything, right?" Diana smiled as she held her makeshift updo. "You could definitely do anything you wanted, wearing this dress."

Emily nodded. The dress was gorgeous. She was gorgeous. She realized she hadn't liked the way she looked in a long time. But now, in this dress, looking in this mirror, she felt beautiful.

And it wasn't even the dress. It was something else. It was...

Leo said he liked her. He said it more than once. He invited her to watch him work. He wanted her to be there as he did the thing that made him feel like he was a success. He wanted her to share the thing that made him happy. That's why he wanted her to come.

He came to her rescue every time she got locked out of the house—not just to let her back in. He came to protect her, to be there for her. He searched the house when she said she'd seen someone. He made sure she was okay before leaving. He even offered to stay so she wouldn't be afraid.

He always smiled that smile every time he saw her. And he had seen her all along, hadn't he? All those years ago? She felt like she was suddenly seeing herself how Leo saw her.

But the dress was so expensive. There was no way she could afford it. Maybe if she put it on her credit card? But that would be irresponsible. It would be bad. Still, she had a job interview. And she would have a paycheck soon. If she put it on the card, she wouldn't have to pay right away.