Rita MacKenzie- Keep Your Head Up Princess

I found a song that was PERFECT for her character, and I just had to. Sooooo

Keep Your Head Up Princess
By Anson Seabra

When she was younger she would pretend,
That her bedroom was a castle, she was fairest in the land

"Hold still," my thirteen-year-old big sister said quietly, brushing eyeliner across my eyelids. "There." Hannah smiled at me, her beaming smile as dazzling as ever. "Perfect. You look so beautiful." She turned me around in the chair to face the mirror.

I brushed a curled strand of brown hair behind my ear. I looked like a princess. I grinned at Hannah, my dark eyes bright. "It's so pretty! Look at the little lines!" I leaned forward, staring in the mirror and pointing to the eyeliner.

"Yeah," Hannah laughed a little. "You look so beautiful."

I stood up and twirled, the princess skirt on my Elsa dress flaring out around me.

"What do you girls think?" The question came from my mother, standing in my sister's doorway holding my three-year-old little brother who was dressed in a Prince Charming costume.

I gasped. "I love it!" I raced to my little brother, my mouth open in innocent awe. I glanced behind me at Hannah, dressed in her Pocahontas costume, and she made a face at me.

I burst into a fit of giggles and launched myself on my older sister, who wrapped her arms around me and held me there.

And she got older, and it all changed,
There was no time for make-believe and all the magic slipped away

I stared, cold and hard into the judge's eyes. I was slumped down in my chair, my ankles crossed under the table.

Nine-year-old Asher clung to me, his nails digging into my arm. The judge could go to hell. He wasn't separating Asher and me. I didn't care that Hannah was gone. I would keep Asher and I together if it was the last thing I did.

"You see my predicament, Rita," Judge Mathis said. "Your track record-"

"My record has nothing to do with this," I snapped. "You have no right breaking up a family."

"You're not a family," Judge Mathis chided. "You're two people."

"We're more family than your children think of you, I bet," I growled, baring my teeth. "Seeing as you have such a delightful demeanor." I would fight this until I couldn't. I had nothing to lose.

"That's it," Judge Mathis said, inhaling sharply. "I am done with you and your attitude, young lady!"

"I'm as much a 'young lady' as you are Albert Einstein!" I snarled.

"I'm done with this," Judge Mathis said. He banged his gavel. "My verdict is reached." He stated me in the eyes. "Separate placements for both of you." He got up, took his papers, and walked out.

I gathered Asher, who was in tears, in my arms. "I'm sorry," I whispered. "I failed."

And she's grown up, works at a bar,
She traded makeshift gowns for serving rounds from sunrise til' it's dark,
And all her friends got someone to hold,
And she's got no one else, still not prepared to make it on her own

(No s*x)

"Hey, sweetheart."

I leaned back in Lucas' arms, breathing in his peppermint scent. His peppermint scent was intoxicating. Maybe that was what made me stay still as his hands snaked up my shirt and gently slipped it off.

Or maybe it was the fact that I was sick of hurting and wanted to be loved.

So keep your head up, princess, 'fore your crown falls,
Know these voices in your head will be your downfall,
I know it gets so hard, but you don't got far to go.

"I'm not worth it."

LeAnna stared at me, a fiery kind of intensity behind her sky blue eyes. "Don't say that."

"Why?" My voice cracked. "I'm not."

"Yes, you are," LeAnna replied. She lifted my chin, forcing me to look her in the eyes. "You're worth the world to me. Doesn't that count for something?"

I choked back a sob and let her pull me into her arms and hold me there.

Yeah, keep your head up, princess, it's a long road,
And the path leads right to where they won't go,
I know it hurts right now, but I know you'll make it home,
So keep your head up.

One day you'll find your way back to the start,One day you'll live in your dreams,One day you'll wake up and find, girl, you're a queen

One day you'll live in your dreams,
One day you'll wake up and find, girl, you're a queen.

Should I do this again with other characters?