Superhero/fanfasy character OCs- The Raven pt. 2

The girl. The cursed girl. The Renegades' little assassin. The Raven.

Shaw looked down at the training knife in his hand. He knew what it was. A warning. A herald of what she would do to get vengeance.

All for the little girl. The Raven's little sister. God, what was her name?

The Raven herself- He didn't know her true name, and he cursed himself for it. He should know her name. She'd been one of his greatest adversaries, and he didn't know who she really was behind the mask.

He turned the little training knife in his hand. The light caught the shiny black engraving. A raven. He cursed under his breath. Of course. She'd 

He'd already sent Jeremy to bed. He was thoroughly rattled. He'd clearly underestimated the Raven. But she'd been out of practice for so long... It had been years since he'd heard her name last whispered. And yet she came back even more fiery than before and seeking vengeance for his attempt at her sister.

He stood, clutching the little knife in his hand. "I'm going to turn in for the night," he said to his two guards. Quan and Darryl, two of his most trusted Gladiators.

They nodded, following him to stand watch at his door.

Shaw slid the knife into a compartment under the mattress and breathed a little sigh of relief. The wretched knife was gone. And he wouldn't have to worry about it until the next day. In the morning, he would wake, ready to deal with the Renegades and their sneaky little bird.

But instead, he woke with what seemed like a heavy weight on his chest. Or rather, a someone. He could feel his arms and legs pinned down, cool metal against his thigh. He cursed his breath and tried to buck her off.

"Ah, ah, ah," the girl's voice whispered. "None of that now."

He opened his mouth to scream and instantly felt the sting of a knife against his cheek.

"Careful there," she said. "I could leave a nasty blemish on your immaculate skin. And we wouldn't want that, would we?"

He stilled. "I'll kill you," he hissed.

"You've tried," was the girl's rough reply. "It didn't work. What makes you think it'll work now?"

"Let's review," she said. "You're pinned down, with a knife against your cheek, you can't scream, and I'll be gone long before your guards get in here to help you. So tell me, Shaw, do you like being in the land of the living?"

"What do you want?"

"I asked first," she said, pressing her knife a little deeper into the soft flesh. "Do you like life?"

"How did you get past my guards?"

"Guards? I thought they were guests."

"You killed them?"

"Oh, no," she said. "I don't kill. I do a lot of things. But I don't kill."

"The window is barred-"

"I am the Raven," the girl hissed. "You think bars stop me?"

Metal glints in the moonlight. Her leg. Prosthetic. Her weakness. He moved his legs swiftly back and forth in hopes to buck her off, but she dug the metal of her leg into his thigh.

"None of that," she said. "Remember what we said?"

"What do you want?" Shaw asked. "What do you want? Money? I'll double whatever the Renegades pay you."

"What do I want?" the Raven scoffed. Her tone turned dark. "I want you to remember me. I want you to remember how miserable I can make your life. I want you to remember that the next time you come after my family, I may break my 'no killing' rule." She pressed her blade into his cheek, drawing blood, then released. When she spoke, her tone was whispering. "And it won't be you that I kill." She dropped Jeremy's little training knife in the center of his chest.

Then she was gone.

Shaw sprang out of bed and out of his room, not bothering to shut the door on his way out. He rushed to Jeremy's room. And there was his little boy. Sleeping soundly, clutching his little bear. Safe and sound.

"Get all of our money," Shaw said to Quan. "Now."

"What's going on?" Quan asked.

"We're leaving," Shaw said. "We're leaving and we're not coming back for a very long time."