A Mistake

Music played on a pier in front of a Brewery, RustBank Brewery.

"Are you kidding me?" A man scoffed on the phone, he was the owner of the brewery.

"Rust Bank brewery is the heart of this town." He states. "No deal, Mr. And Mrs. Klaxon." He denied their offer to buy from him.

"Do you realize who I am?" Mr. Klaxon on the phone asked. 

"We are not selling the brewery. Not to you or anyone else." The man stated.

"Wait, wait!"

"Got it?" The man then hung up the phone.

"You shut that down, Delroy?" His wife, Wilma, asked him. 

"It's over, Wilma. Told him more beer, less prisons." Delroy reassured his wife. 

His wife then smiled, grabbing his hand so he dipped her as she laughed.

"Did real good here too!" Wilma said, rattling the money tin in her hand. "I love that!" Her husband smiled, kissing her temple.

"My library is set for the year." Wilma said.

They both then heard a child, their child, Kat, belching with the man at the cart laughing.

"Time to go, Kat." Wilma called her daughter over. "Okay." Kat replied, hopping off the cart's counter.

"Before you put Mr. Fawzi out of business." Her mother continued as Kat ran up to her father. 

"Daddy!" She cheered, the man picking her up. 

"Bye-bye, Kat!" Mr. Fawzi called out to the young one.

The three person family walked to their car, Delroy putting Kat in the back seat as Wilma got in the passenger. 

Kat pulled out a red candy apple she had snagged earlier with a smile as her father buckled her up.

"What's that, Kat?" Her father asked. 

"Uh…uh, dessert!" Kat said. "No, honey, you'll pop." Her mother tried taking the candy apple away but Kat pulled it out of her reach.

Her mother then sighed, turning back around as her husband started the car and the radio.

She then saw the upcoming storm, lightning striking in the distance. 

As they drove further towards their house the storm got worse.

"Delroy, honey, pull over. I don't like this." Wilma said. 

"We'll be fine, Wilma. Look, almost home." Delroy said, approaching the bridge.

In the backseat Kat bit into her candy apple, a worm popping out of the center as her eyes widened.

Kat screamed, alerting her parents and taking their attention off the slippery road.

"What, baby?" Delroy asked, looking back at her. 

"Watch out!" Wilma called out, Delroy looking forward and swerving the car before losing control.

They went off, hitting the rails on the bridge and falling into the water.

"No!" Delory called out, Kat screaming. 

"Delroy!" Wilma called out to her husband.

"Daddy!" Kat said, her father passed out on the wheel as her mother got out of her seat.

"Kat, you need to swim like we taught you." She told her, bringing her daughter over to her.

"Mama! Aren't you coming?" Kat asked. "Right behind you, baby!" Her mother replied.

"Mama, I'm scared!" Kat told her, Wilma placing her hand on her daughter's cheek.

"Now, listen to me, baby. You need to take a deep breath." Her mother opened the window, water pouring in as Kat took a breath.

"Now, go!" Her mother pushed her out of the car window, Kat trying to hold on but snagging her necklace and tearing it from her mothers neck.

Kat watched as the vehicle went deeper and deeper before blacking out.

"One scream, and my parents were gone." 

A vision of Kat taking a woman's hand.

"Figured I'd just hate myself for the rest of my life."

Kat stood in a hallway with her bag as a bigger boy came up to her, laughing.

She backed up but he took her bag as another kid pushed her back. Another behind her pushed her as well.

The boy then grabbed her hood, pulling it over her head as he dragged her to the stairs.

"But…fate had other ideas." 

A judge lifted a gavel, harshly hitting it on his desk.

"They say everyone's got demons, right?"

A long face laughed, another following with a more rounder face as they circled.

"My demons have names."