Case 01 :: Chapter 07

"How will you know if your house is...haunted?" 

I could sense Noelle's gaze on me from her seated position on the library floor. Again, she opted out from helping me tackle the second row of the bookcase, and remained fully engrossed on the paperback she read.

But now her attention focused on the back of my neck. Unnerved as though being drilled at my nape, I glanced down at Noelle who sat directly behind me. Her lips arched in a thoughtful scowl as she continued to gape at me with mild interest.

"Having a change of heart, Doc?" 

I could say the same for her. After her hasty exit yesterday, I thought she'd quit and rather take the suspension, and I would have to bear all of the grunt work (which appeared to be so with or without her presence) but she stuck around now. A bit more relaxed, as though brushing yesterday's incident under the rug. 

But in all honesty, I couldn't say the same for myself. Despite all the shit that hit the fan at home, there was no avoiding the wave of uneasiness when I entered the library a couple of hours before. I couldn't help looking over my shoulder every minute or so, half expecting the translucent figure of the boy to appear lurking about with his deadpan expression. But thankfully, so far so good.

I placed the book that was still in my hand back to its slot and leaned against the bookcase. Now I was standing here, being questioned if I now finally believed in...well the paranormal, had my head reeling. Oh how my perception changed within twenty four hours. My mind flashed to the boy's face, the second head I knew I saw in Danni's room, her being in that storage room, the footprints, and the whispers I heard which I've also dreamt about. No, I finally realized, it was no longer a question of whether our home was haunted or not. Or whether I believed. But rather, how in hell do I put a stop to all of this before it escalated. 

"To be honest..." I trailed off, massaging the back of my neck with a hand as I struggled to find the words--

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

My ears perked up at the subtle rapping as though knuckles against wood. I would have dismissed it as nothing because of how faint it was. However, another set of tapping noises caught both of our attention. Noelle's focus locked onto something down the aisle and she slowly got up to her feet. I followed her gaze, my own eyes widening once I realized what she was looking at.

At the end of the empty aisle, to the shelf on the right, a single book slowly slid out of its place, as though a phantom student was removing it. Inch by inch. I wasn't aware that I was holding my breath until it fell out of its slot and landed on the floor with a dull thud. 

Noelle sprinted towards it. I had to hand it to her, my instincts had the opposite command, yelling at me to run the other direction. For several seconds, I stood rooted to the ground, unable to believe my eyes, and had to force my feet to move until I was next to her as she picked up the book. We both stared at it as though it may sprung to life at any moment. 

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

Thud.

This time I was hot on Noelle's heels as we raced a couple of bookcases down. Surely enough, another book laid open on the floor, so out of place on the empty aisle. I picked up the volume this time, gently placing it back on the shelf. My thoughts went back to the ghost of Mrs. Alonzo's son. Was this his doing?

"Doc." I heard Noelle breathe as she rushed past me towards the east side of the library. Another thud. Once we crossed the narrow bridge that connected both wings, we found another book down at the adjacent aisle. 

Then the sound of another fallen book reverberated the empty library once more. As we headed towards the sound, just on the next aisle, a pang of dizziness hit me, slowing my steps until I leaned against the bookcase for support. Blinking back the sudden blurriness that hindered my sight, I resumed following Noelle when more thumps erupted. I bumped behind her as she stood static at the back wall of the library.