| Chapter 10 | Sunrise

The bricked roofs clattered under our weight. Hange, Levi, and I all crouched down upon an old workshop, spying down into the crevices of the alleys, our breathing nothing more than a whisper amongst the night wind. All of us were silent, alert- waiting.

Night would be the best moment to make a move. Cliche, but the truth. If these people were to do anything, now was their chance. The darkness would shield them from the world, allowing access to whatever it was they were plotting. But I was worried. Maybe they weren't dumb enough to do the obvious. Still, we had to be on lookout.

Hange motioned her index finger over to a small cleft in an abandoned building where it made way to an empty space. All of us brought our eyes down to it, watching intently as a creeping silhouette detached from the shadow, lurking around in the faint light of the moon. They wore a cloak.

We found our target.

"Don't approach too fast," Hange placed her hand on the rim of the roof, like a cat stalking it's prey. "Let them lead us to their destination," She whispered.

I shifted my weight to my right foot to push myself quietly down the steep side of the roof, sliding down slowly to increase stealth. The other two followed. As the unknown person began striding down the road, we jumped to the other roof, hunting them down.

The houses gave way to emptiness as the person tredded up a hill. Levi found a pile of boxes stacked up against the wall, guiding us down from the roof and safely onto the cobbled paths. We continued the pursuit, quiet on our feet as we hid.

They were going farther into the field now. We nearly lost sight of them.

Hange broke into a light run, careful to not make too much noise as she dove into the tall grass and following behind them. The grass rustled, yet matched the tone of the passing breeze.
Levi went next, leaving me running after them. We kept no more than a few lengths behind them, but they stopped.

What was it? Why had they stopped in the middle of nowhere?

"Come out. I know you're there."

The voice of the mysterious human plunged into my gut. I passed Hange a look of disbelief, unsure how they had seen us. But before we revealed ourselves, another figure came out from behind a tree.

They walked up to them without a word. The cloaked person removed their hood- yet I still couldn't see them due to the darkness.

"You promised money," The other person said; a feminine voice. The person wearing the black covering pulled out a bag of coins, all of them jingling together as he thrust his arm outward.

"And money I have," He handed it to the woman before him. "Now give me what I asked for."

She shook her head. "Not so fast. You also promised one more thing," She opened her satchel and placed the purse of money inside while talking. "How close are you to executing what your boss has been knitting together? Are the Scout's still unbreakable?"

The man barred his teeth as he spoke, ticked off. "We'd be a lot closer if you gave us the weapons," He barked. The woman gave a nauseated look. "Oh please. Are you really so weak you can't take on a few puny soldiers? There's barely any of them anyway- they get themselves killed nearly every week. Just do the damn plan already!"

"I'm not the one who makes the rules, Beatrice! We made a deal. I gave you the money, so hand over your end of the bargain!" The tension between the two made the grass grow limp. I could feel unease replacing the ground beneath us, swaying side to side.

The woman pulled a heavy bundle off her back, tossing it just infront of the man's feet. "There. You and whoever else can come by the shop tomorrow to retrieve the rest. After that, we aren't making any more deals with you people so don't get comfortable."