Chapter Nine

My smile was still firmly in place as I sauntered over to my bed, turning the lights off before I pulled the comforter over my body

My smile was still firmly in place as I sauntered over to my bed, turning the lights off before I pulled the comforter over my body. It didn't take long for sleep to overtake me, with visions of veiny forearms, a chiseled face and a certain dark haired mafia boss making their way into my dreams.

***

I woke up with a yawn, the heavy drapes shielding the sunlight from entering the bedroom. It was still winter in Russia, but lately we had been receiving a lot of sunlight. I guess it was reflective of my current mood - feeling turmoil over so many changes happening at once while also feeling happy at the same time.

Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I went through my usual morning routine before showering and getting dressed. I descended the stairs, hearing several voices coming from the study to my left. The door was slightly ajar as I moved towards it, pressing my ear against the wall.

"So we'll keep the funeral today then, Pakhan?"

"Yes, but don't make it a big affair. Just a few important men at most."

"Alright, we'll get everything in order for it."

They continued conversing in rapid Russian as I moved away from the room, realisation dawning on me. They were obviously talking about Sergei's funeral -a thought I had conveniently forgotten about after everything that had happened yesterday. And by everything, I meant Alexei kissing me. Fuck. That kiss sent shivers up my spine even now, hours later. I shouldn't even be thinking about that and instead should've been mourning my uncle's death - after all, he had been the one to save me bomb blast and then gave me a home. But I couldn't help thinking that the previous day had been an irony in itself. Sergei's death had also led to a new beginning for Alexei and I. Talk about coincidences.

I helped myself to a simple breakfast of toast and jam, my stomach slightly plummeting at the thought of how Alexei was handling the situation. He very well couldn't admit out loud that he had been the one to kill the ex-Pakhan with his own bare hands. Nerves clawed at me as the voices from inside grew louder before silence finally ensued. I picked at a piece of toast as footsteps sounded from behind me. Craning my neck to look at them, I counted seven of the most high ranking men in the Bratva as well some well known politicians making their way to the front door. Some of them shot me solemn looks while the others openly ogled me, making me feel like I was a prize on display. Nikita was the last one to leave, sneering as I stood up to my full height, my resting bitch face mode in full force.

"What are you looking at? See something interesting?" I snapped as I tilted my head, looking up at him even though there was a considerable height difference between us.

"Oh no, just wondering what the Pakhan sees in a bitch like you. You must have a really tight pussy in order for him to -

Before he could finish that sentence, my knee came into contact with his balls - hard - as he groaned in pain.