18. the search

Geneva panicked, and her eyes jumped to Freda and Roxie. "No," she said. "I mean I am—" She struggled, the pain in her head not helping.

"Of course, she's Geneva," said Roxie, looking at Matthew. "Geneva Withers..." The girl's voice trailed when her gaze locked with Geneva's pleading one. "Spoon," Roxie added with a smile. "Geneva Witherspoon."

Matthew frowned at first, but he had no choice but to believe Roxie, did he? Most especially when Freda piped in and said, "Miss Witherspoon, we've been waiting for you. What happened? Why was Matthew carrying you on his back?"

"Did she trip and fall again?" Roxie asked Matthew. "She's a little frail, you see."

"Yes, she did. Hit her head," said Matthew, looking a little more convinced as seconds passed. "I have to take her back to the manor."

"Of course," said Freda, eyes glinting conspiratorially. "Because she's our dear governess, isn't she, Roxie?"

"She is," Roxie said, biting her lips as Geneva threw them a sharp look. "Well, go on then, Matthew. Do you want us to fetch the doctor?"

"Can you do that?" Matthew asked, guiding Geneva over his back again.

"Of course."

"You'll have to tell us what happened later, Miss Witherspoon," said Freda with a knowing smile.

"Before you go to the doctor," Geneva said through her teeth, "Can you alert the manor that Mr. Matthew and I are arriving?"

The smile on the girls' faces could have made her blood boil months ago. Now, it just made her want to throttle them. "Of course, Miss Witherspoon," Freda said with a grin before they ran off, skipping expertly over traps.

***

Damon was already in the courtyard, pacing around while Harry sat in a chair under the shade of the tree with their grandfather.

"And she's supposed to be the governess?" the old man asked again.

"Yes," Harry patiently answered again.

"But she's really not the governess?"

"Of course she isn't," Damon said, craning his neck. "Let's just act like she lives here."

"But she doesn't, does she?"

Harry laughed, patting the man's hand. "Damon will kill you if you continue with the teasing, old man."

The earl chuckled and continued reading his book.

When Geneva and Matthew finally arrived, Damon rushed to their side. "What happened?"

"She fell and hit her head against the tree trunk," said Matthew. "Did you call for the doctor?"

"Yes. He'll be here soon. Thank you, Matthew. I'll take Miss Geneva."

"It's nothing," the young man said, putting Geneva back on the ground. "She barely weighs anything."

"Excuse me?" Geneva asked as Damon took her hand.

Matthew laughed and turned to greet Harry and the earl. Geneva was about to do the same, but Damon pulled her away, saying, "You have to be ready when the doctor arrives."

"I don't need—"

"You'll see Doctor Peters," he interjected with finality. "Matthew, thank you once again."

"Thank you, Matthew," Geneva said in a lower voice.

"I'll see you around, Miss Geneva," the young man said before he waved goodbye to the earl and Harry.