6. Tomorrow

Today was starting off like any normal day. Wake up, cook breakfast, get Martina ready. All the usual morning autopilot system that your body quicks in. It's strange how we get so used to all this that we do it ourselves. Once Mars was dropped off we headed straight to work. Another thing adds to the autopilot. The second we arrived on shift. The way that our autopilot worked changed. We had two people inside that we needed to find. Denny and Karen. That's right there was an accident at the place that Karen worked and Denny was doing a career day there. "All right, guys, suit up. We're heading inside." Dad said to all of us and I started gearing up.

"Isn't this where Karen works?" Eddie asked all of us.

"Yep." Chim said to us all.

"That's why I'm nervous. Denny's here as well." I said to them all.

"Do you guys think Hen knows?" Buck asked and I saw Hen's car pull in. I think that was the answer.

"Yep." Chim and I both answered and we saw Hen run over to Denny. Denny was okay but where was Karen. More people were coming out but not her. We went over to her.

"What do we know?" She asked us and I couldn't give her answer because there wasn't one.

"Not much. We're headed inside now to put out some fires and look for survivors." Dad said as I passed him to head inside. It was time for me to start looking. I waited inside for the others and once dad came in he told us all where to go and we went. I wasn't going to waste around while trying to find survivors. I split off down a corridor and found someone.

"Help." The guy asked me and I crouched next to him.

"Can you walk?" I asked him and he tried to move but groaned in pain.

"No." He said to me and I could see a lump in his jeans from his leg. Could be a fracture.

"Don't. I'll get you out. Grab a hold of me. I'm going to pull you." I said to him and he looked at nodded at me. This whole thing was going to be hard for him. "Okay, three, two, one." I said to him and he grabbed ahold of me and I helped him up. He groaned the whole time.

"Was that it?" He asked me between breaths and I smiled at him.

"Nearly, we're on the home stretch now." I said to him and we started walking out the building. I then got him to the medic tents.

"What's going on with this?" The lady with a clipboard asked me.

"He's got a fractured tibia." I said to them all and they all looked at me and nodded.

"We'll make sure he's on ambulance soon." They said to me and I powered my radio off quickly. I need a quick break. Karen still hadn't come out. I turned it on again and saw Karen walk it that was good. I then headed back inside. I wasn't going to go in the main zone but just the outskirts, I found two more, one was dead and one wasn't. I helped the girl out but the guy I had to leave. Once I got out I took the person over to the medic area.

"Karen. Karen. Karen, can you hear me? Oh, my God." I heard Hen say and I went straight over there. "Oh, my God. Oh, my God, Karen." She said as she lifted her shift up, we got her immediately in the ambulance. I was in the truck in front just praying that Karen word be okay. Buck held my hand the whole entire drive. When I first moved to LA not knowing anyone it got hard. Yes I had my dad here but I didn't have a friend. Hen and Karen took me in and we were all close. Still are since then. Once we all got to the hospital we sat there patiently. We saw Chim walk through.

"Karen's out of surgery. They removed her spleen. It must have gotten nicked when the tank shrapnel pierced her abdomen and then it burst when she got outside." Chim said and I was glad she was okay.

"But you can live without a spleen, right?" Buck asked, and they could. She would be fine.

"Yeah, people do it every day." Chim said to us.

"She's gonna be okay." Eddie said to us all, thank god she would be.

"They're gonna hold her for observation, but she should be able to go home in a couple of days." Chim said to all of us.

"I'm so glad she's okay." I said to them all, Hen was already in with Karen. I don't blame her I'd do the same thing. Once we picked Mars up and headed home I looked around.

"Hey, are you okay?" Buck asked as he wrapped his arms around me.

"I'm just thinking, that whole thing could've been the worst day ever. The most heartbreaking but instead it ended up with Karen and Denny be okay. You know, I've always known how quickly things can happen and I've seen it with own eyes. But this, this just felt different. With all the unknowing of what everything is." I said to him and he looked at me. He could read everything that I was thinking and that is what I liked but hated at the same time.

"But everything worked out in the right way. You don't need to worry about it anymore. Besides Karen will be able to live to her fullest again, just one spleen short. But she's got everyone looking out for her." He said to me and I turned in his grip and looked up at him.

"I guess your right. Now can we watch a movie with Mars. I kinda need to distract my mind from everything." I said to him and he placed a quick kiss on my lips.

"Of course, but Mars gets to pick." He said and I smiled at him. Of course she was allowed to. It didn't even bother me that we watched Paddington for the twentieth time. As long as I was distracted.