Chapter 29 Final Part II

His warm breath formed single clouds in the cold air. It was deep winter, everywhere you looked there was snow, it was dazzling white. Snowflakes descended from the gray sky, dancing through the air like little dancers. They danced like ballet dancers, moving rhythmically in time with the wind. A boy with brown hair stood at her grave, the snowflakes settling on his clothes and melting instantly. In his hand, he held a red rose. This stood out like a drop of blood on a white sheet of paper.

The boy knelt down and gently placed the flower on the grave. "Here I am. As promised," he whispered, as if she could have heard him. "I know...I haven't been here for a long time...so much has happened lately...", the boy sighed. "I'll tell you soon, Yelena. I promise. But now...I have to go again". Nick stood up and sobbed. He had not been able to save her. Because of him, she had died. Because of him, she lay here, buried under the ground. "Will you ever forgive me again?" he asked quietly. Then he laughed.

"Of course, I won't. After all, I did take you there that day. I killed you...why would you ever forgive me?", Nick shook his head. Memories came flooding back to him. A single tear escaped his eye. "At that...I just...wanted to show you the place. I know it sounds ridiculous, ha! You probably...think that..." the brown-haired man fell silent. "You even still warned me. I'm an idiot. A fucking idiot," he sobbed. Tears were rolling down his face now, no matter how much he tried to wipe them away.

"If only I could change everything! I would do anything! I..." he struggled with himself. Then he fell silent and began to cry. He sank to his knees and stroked the cold, snowy stone. "I couldn't even look at your parents' face then. How cowardly of me. No wonder I'm getting it all back now...I deserve it," he whispered. His voice trembled badly, he felt the knot in his chest slowly squeezing the blood to his heart. "Yelena..." he gasped. His hands clenched around his chest. "I...miss you very much..." he gasped, laying his head on the snow. "Let me...hug you one last time...please," he begged her. For a brief moment, Nick thought he heard her laughter, her beautiful voice...but there was nothing.

Just the soft trickling snow and deep sadness. "Please," his lip began to tremble. Maybe it was a few seconds, maybe a few minutes, but to him, it felt like a lifetime. Then he stood up and wiped away his tears. "I have a new assignment now. I am to be infiltrated into the black organization...don't worry...I will be back," he said, trying to smile. For a moment he hesitated, but then he turned and left. His footsteps disappeared in the snow, while the snowflakes embedded the rose in a soft dance.

♠♠♠

"You're completely kidding me, aren't you?" exclaimed Brennevin after she understood what had just happened. Nick wasn't dead, no, he was just standing in front of her, grinning at her. "Hey...guys...good to see you again," he muttered frantically. "HEY, PEOPLE? I THINK I'M CRAZY!!! DON'T YOU HAVE IT ALL AGAIN?!!!", Ash strode over to him and lashed out. "Ash wait-", Chardonnay tried to stop her, but at the same moment there was a huge clap. A red mark graced Nick's cheek.

"YOU JUST SHOW UP HERE AND SAY HEY GUYS? ARE YOU STILL MENTALLY, OKAY? WE THINK YOU'RE REALLY DEAD!" yelled Ash, grabbing his collar. "I thought you were dead! Dead!", her voice weakened a bit, for a moment she even felt relieved. Nick looked at her firmly. "I'm sorry. But there was no other way. You had to kill me..." he whispered. Ash was about to say something back when Chardonnay pulled her back.

"Now calm down!" he grumbled at her. He turned to Nick and smiled. "To be honest, I'm glad to see you again," Minoru confessed. "Me too," Nick agreed, palming his glowing cheek. "I hate to interrupt, but...", Ash pointed tensely at the dead body of Gin. "Gin...", Dubonnet hissed. "He did get it once, didn't he? Didn't think I'd get to witness his death," he whispered. "Except...now we're getting all the blame," Ash blathered, giving the camera an angry look. Nick, too, glanced at the camera. "Very nice. Now we're all complete," laughed the mysterious voice. "Well, how do you like my surprise?" it wanted to know.