Second Chance at First Line

I make my way to the bench for the Lacrosse practice. Stiles wants me to be here. Why? I have no earthly idea. As soon as I sit down, the coach blows his whistle.

"Let's go! One-on-one from up top! Jackson... Take a long stick today." I see Jackson put down the stick he has in his hands already and picks up the longer stick. "Atta boy." He blows his whistle again, signaling for the practice game to begin. I take out some homework and start working on it. Every now and then, I'll hear the whistle blow. "Kill it, Jack. That's how you do it! Greenberg, take a lap. Let's go. Faster, Greenberg! Let's go."

Now, all the players are lining up to practice goals, while getting past Jackson. "McCall, what are you waiting for?!" I look up as Scott jumps a little as he gets out of the daze he was in. "Let's go." Scott starts his run and charges at Jackson, but as usual, he gets shoved onto the ground. "Hey, McCall." Coach starts walking up to him, laughing. "Hey, McCall!"

"You sure you still want to be first-line, McCall?" Jackson teases Scott, walking away.

Coach gets to him, still laughing. "My-my grandmother can move faster than that." Scott kinda doubles over. I sit up straighter and Stiles and I share a glance as we both watch him closely. "And she's dead. You think you can move faster than the...lifeless corpse of my dead grandmother?"

"Yes, Coach."

"I can't hear you."

"Yes, Coach." Scott repeats louder while glaring at Jackson.

"Then do it again." Scott nods and jogs back to the line. "McCall's gonna do it again! McCall's gonna do it again!" As soon as Scott got back to the line, Coach blew his whistle. "Let's go!" Scott charges toward and knocks Jackson to the ground really hard. I start getting worried since Jackson isn't getting up while holding his shoulder and Scott is now on his knees, holding his head. Everyone runs toward Jackson and I see Stiles run over to Scott really quickly. I get up and head down the bleachers, I catch a glimpse of Derek Hale watching Stiles and Scott. I shake my head. I can't worry about him right now. I make my way to the locker room and I walk up to the open door as I hear shouting.

"Get away from me!" I look in quickly, seeing Scott, who's in full wolf mode, going after Stiles and jumping on top of the lockers. Stiles makes his way to the door, keeping an eye on Scott.

I grab the fire extinguisher off the wall when Stiles gets to me. "Give it to me." He takes it from me just as Scott jumps down in front of us. He gets it to work and sprays it at Scott. As he's spraying, he walks backward, pushing me with his body so that we both end up in the hallway against the wall.

"Stiles..." We both glance at each other and Stiles sticks his head in cautiously. "What happened?" Stiles sighs, dropping the extinguisher, and walks back in, taking off his gloves. I stay at the door. Scott's now his normal self and sitting on a bench.

"You tried to kill me. It's like I told you before." Stiles squats down in front of him. "It's the anger. It's your pulse rising. It's a trigger."

"But that's lacrosse. It's a pretty violent game if you haven't noticed."

"Well, it's gonna be a lot more violent if you end up killing someone on the field. You can't play Saturday. You're gonna have to get out of the game."

"I'm first line."

"Not anymore."

*****

After that crazy chain of events and the rest of the school day, I'm in my room doing the rest of my homework, laying on my bed when Stiles bursts into my room. I sigh and look up at him. "Dude. Don't you know how to knock?"