Chapter 2 : Fake It Till You Made It

When Blaze finally came to consciousness, he was lying on a bed— in an empty room.

Where is he?

As he opened his eyes, the first thing he saw is the dim lighting of the medical room. A wave of instant relief washed over him as he realized that he wasn't in the hallway anymore.

He tried his best to sit up, but a sharp pain stabbed him in the chest and he groaned, loudly, before he flopped back down on the bed. He crossed his arms over his stomach, and looked around the room.

His gaze landed on the side table by his side, where a glass of water and what appeared to be a bottle of pills lay. It looked like someone had just been in and left them there for him.

Blaze reached towards the glass of water, but stopped himself when the sudden movement caused another sharp pain in his ribs, which, ouch. hurt like hell.

He swallowed thickly. Okay, maybe that didn't work on first try— He once again tried to reach for the water, only to have the pain worsen as he let out a pained yelp. his hand even barely managed to graze the glass.

"This is just great," he hissed, rubbing the palm of his hands.

He shifted himself slightly off the bed and sat there, breaths heavy. he waited until the pain subsided a little so he could get up again. He swiftly took two of the painkillers that sat on the side of the table, then grabbed the glass of water. He took a small sip and slowly drank it all at once.

God, he would never get used to the taste of these things. They tasted horrible. And they also made him thirsty! it did help with the pain… for the time being.

He leaned back against the headboard of the bed and closed his eyes again. Just as he was drifting back to sleep, he heard a footsteps coming from the other side. His eyes snapped open.

A small sound of knocking accompanied with a steady voice calling out his name. "Blaze? Are you awake?"

His eyes widened in recognition as he tried to arise up

"Yeah," he answered through clenched teeth, stumbling to straightened up his body.

"Can I go in?"

He looked over to the door and grunted in agreement, and the door opened ever so slightly, revealing a figure standing in the doorway with one hand still resting on the wall.

Ah—

There he is.

Quake stood beside the door in all his glory, looking at him while letting out a ragged breath, both of his eyes were wide and full of distressed as he scanned the other's face as if trying to figure something out.

His heart ached at that sight.

How long has it been since he last saw Quake? He couldn't remember exactly, but it's long enough to make him realize how much he missed him.

He can remember from the past, how Quake's level voice sounded like, telling him that it'd be okay. That everything would be alright. He remembers how worried that voice made him feel because that day hadn't been okay at all.

Now that he was here, standing right in front of him, it doesn't seemed real.

It seems too good to be true.

Closing his eyes for a second and letting out another deep breath, Blaze willed himself not to fall apart, he'll have no idea how pitiful he looks. Finally he forced himself to speak.

"Hey." It got Quake's attention at least.

"Blaze?" taking a step closer to him. His eyes widened when he saw Blaze's face and his brow creased in concern.