Chapter 6 : Glimpses

Warning is at the end of the Fic, Be save <3

———

Blaze had always been reckless in the ways he did things.

He had learned to take pride in from the very beginning - but that wasn't always the best thing when his actions landed him in trouble. It left a bad taste in his mouth when his brothers criticized him for it, sometimes for not taking into consideration how his actions could affect others as well.

Blaze was too fearless for his own good. It was something that could not be taken lightly or even understood. He couldn't help his impulsive nature, nor the way he jumped into things without thinking it through properly beforehand.

It often led to situations with more problems than solutions.

But there was one thing about Blaze. He may have been recklessly bold and unafraid of consequences, however in the end, he was rarely the type to regret what he’d done.

Sometimes, he would look back on his decisions and decide, ‘well... if I hadn’t made them, no one else would've’, then he wouldn’t dwell too much over the mistakes.

That's just the kind of person he was. That is how Blaze worked. His life didn’t revolve around making up for every mistake that had ever been made in his life. He wouldn't change anything he'd ever done, because that would only bring out the flaws in him and it wasn't worth his time, anyway.

Until, of course, it did.

When he lost a life, Blaze found himself at odds with his siblings. No matter what he did, they often scolded and chastised him, even goes as far as to tell Blaze off for being impulsive or stupid. Yet they never seemed to blame him for anything.

Never once did anyone say he should apologize, or beg their forgiveness for whatever foolish thing he'd done. Which only added to the stress Blaze felt. He didn't understand why he deserved such kindness, especially when he wasn't sure that he could give them any if the situation were reversed.

Losing Quake felt like a punch in the gut for Blaze.

Even now after nearly four years, that wound still stung and burned in an unfamiliar place. He was used to getting angry, but this... This was different somehow. He felt raw in a way he never had before.

A pain that went deep in the marrow of his bones and left a permanent scar on his heart. One that burned like a raging wildfire, burning him from inside out until nothing remained apart from ashes and guilt.

For the very first time, Blaze learned to regret.

It was a bad idea to get close to a lake, especially one in the middle of a desolated planet.

In theory, it should not be possible to get caught up in whatever the hell was living deep in the water. Except if one wanted to fall down and drown themselves in the murky depths. Surely, you weren't supposed to do that.

Unless, if the creature in question was the one who threw you in.

They were just trying to passed through the swamp by crossing a narrow river when a sudden a black gooey substance erupted from the water. Blaze pulled Ice back just in time to avoid the attack, leaving their supplies bag behind.

So here they are, standing in the middle of nowhere with a giant swamp creature staring straight at them, ready to attack once again.

Normally he would always be up for a good fight, but not right now. Not after staying up all night and doing absolutely nothing besides thinking. So much that even the prospect of sleeping was difficult.