Chapter 8 : Paranoia

Warning at the end of the chapter as usual <3

———

"You've done enough. You've got plenty to live for."

Those words were as clear as they could be, spoken with such clarity. He couldn't see his own hands moving, couldn't hear his own voice speaking, yet he could feel the touch of the air and the smell of smoke on his skin.

"What about the others?"

There was a pause. No answer came. Then there was a rustling sound, accompanied with a small gust of wind swept across Blaze's hair. Came also a scent of the ash filled the air.

In his mind's eye, he saw a hero.

Tall and handsome, hair tousled by a breeze, dressed in black pants that are a mix of red and black with the same matching red shirt underneath a black vest.

Scarlet eyes glinting with an emotion he couldn't place. Lips set into a firm line, chin held high. A young man who stands strong and proud against the sky.

"They don't matter." The young man looked down. Grim expression never leaving his face. "As long as I'm alive, they'll always be there. Especially you. You've got the future ahead of you."

"Oh Spare me your sentimental nonsense."  There was a sneer in his own voice. One that made the young man look up, eyes flashing with confidence "Quake is the only self sacrificing idiot who ever gave a crap about anything! He will be the last and only one to ever die for the sake of others. And I'll be damned if you are going to follow his footsteps!"

The young man's eyes flashed red again with a challenge in them now "I won't let his sacrifice come to a waste."

Came a laughter then, hollow and twisted. It sounded so unnatural. So fake. So unlike  Blaze.

"It isn't a plan if you get yourself killed in the process." Blaze laughed bitterly. "What would Taufan think if he heard you spouting those sappy things, huh? Solar would mocked the living hell out of you for thinking so little of yourself. So much that you would rather kill yourself for just a few months of peace!"

"But I will." a hand gripped Blaze's shoulder firmly, forcing him to meet the others gaze. Blaze looked into a pair of dark red eyes that held the promise of victory and a determination that rivaled Solar's own. Smile tugged at the corners of his lips, a smile that reflected the feeling of defeat but never surrender.

"Even if it means dying myself to keep all of you save, I will." There was fire in the young man's eyes now. Passion fueled by the need to protect others. Blaze wanted to shake his head at the absurdity of it all. Of course he's going to die in vain, how many times has he said that before?

"You can't save us all! You know that, right?!" There was an exasperated look on his face, though his tone held no heat "If we have to fight again, we fight together, we don't stand alone!"

"And what if that means dying, Blaze? What then? Who is going to keep us from falling apart anymore if we're all dead?!"

There was pain in the other's eyes as he spoke. Pain that Blaze had seen many times before, and it hurt him too. How could someone be so desperate?

"Would it be better for everyone if the rest of us died? Would it mean the end of our fighting? The end of our suffering?" The young man's face crumpled, "if one death would bring us all to safety, it'll be better to be safe than sorry."