chapter twenty three, a sip of cactus juice

23
A SIP OF CACTUS JUICE

THEIR JOURNEY REMAINED IDLE. GREENERY lightened to sandy areas, indicating they'd be passing by the Si Wong desert soon. Neither had a clear idea on where to go or where to stay, their main priority solely being to get away from the Fire Nation no matter what and in San's case, it was to stay alive, avoiding running into any one of the extremists again.

"We should rest. We've been on the road for two days straight now," groaned Iroh, parched and threatening to fall off the ostrich horse

"We will soon, Uncle Iroh." San reassured. "Hopefully, there'll be another village nearby we can make another quick stop at to rest and get a drink."

Though fate ever so kindly had different plans as a herd of rhinos were heard stomping about, eventually surrounding the three and forcing Zuko to halt the ostrich horse. The rhinos were ridden by Fire Nation soldiers, one of them being a colonel.

"Colonel Mongke, what a pleasant surprise." Iroh greeted humbly.

"If you're surprised we're here then the Dragon of the West has lost a few steps." He grunted, all five preparing to attack.

"You know these guys?" Zuko whispered, arching a brow.

"Sure. Colonel Mongke and the Rough Rhinos are legendary. Each one is a different kinds of weapon specialist. They are also a very capable singing group."

"You really think these guys are gonna give us a concert?" San cautiously eyed the spiky weapons at their sides. "Maybe we can all sit down and have a good time? I'd be down to hear the colonel hit the high notes."

"We're not here to have a concert!" scoffed the colonel, seemingly offended by her indifference to the situation. "We're here to apprehend fugitives."

The trio swiftly climbed off the ostrich horse and formed a battle triangle — each taking on a determined fighting stance and taunting the soldiers to come at them first. They fell for it so easily.

The air was rife with the scent of smoke as the three firebenders fought with all their might through quick thinking on their feet. No strategy was required, just the reading of the other's movements and synchronising with them. In the midst of the battle, Iroh used one of the opponent's weapons against themselves, swinging the morning star above his head and then striking them down. Zuko slid under the space, the distance between Iroh and his opponent below the flying morning star, and attacked the colonel with fire daggers. On the other side of the battlefield, San showed off the sword she stole awhile back and held it horizontally before breathing at the steel and heating it up. The soldier wielded an axe and refused to yield, charging ahead and being careless with his moves. In no time, San struck across his chest and his chest plate split in half, literally breaking apart.

"Great move." Zuko said as they found themselves standing back-to-back.

"A compliment from the prince? I shall treasure it for eternity amongst all the other compliments you gave me." San said dramatically, the prince rolling his eyes. "But it's really thanks to you that I can hold a sword properly in my hand in the first place."

Less than ten minutes. That was how long it took for the soldiers and the colonel to be beaten down, unable to leap back into action for a long time. Zuko, San and Iroh immediately returned to riding the ostrich horse into the distance, far before anyone else wanted to ambush them again.

"It's nice to see old friends." Iroh mused to himself out loud.

"Too bad you don't have any old friends that don't want to attack you." Zuko commented, leaving his uncle to ponder.