chapter thirty two, embrace the potential

32
EMBRACE THE POTENTIAL

SAN ALWAYS ADORED HER ABILITY to wield fire. A sentiment naturally common amongst the firebenders. It either commanded respect or consumed fear. An element harnessing the ability to maintain life and take it. Wielding jaw-dropping white flames made her feel unstoppable, like she could hold the stars for an eternity.

Almost everyone she knew viewed it as nothing but pure destruction with Team Avatar not being exceptions. However, she was determined to make sure Aang sees it the way she does too.

"Rise and shine, Avatar!" The blue sky hadn't completely wash over the night's darkness yet and the moon remained ghostly when Aang stirred awake and smelled the scent of delicious eggs wafting through the air. "Eat up and wash up because we're going to start our training today."

"Really? You've got your firebending back?"

"Not yet. But the sooner we start, the better." The rest of the team began waking up as well after smelling the cooked breakfast and overhearing their conversation.

"I thought you'd teach him firebending after the solar eclipse," yawned Sokka. "Since the whole plan relies on him fighting Ozai at his weakest when he can't firebend. So what's the point?"

"The point is that it is inevitable for the Avatar to master all four elements whether he likes it or not, whether he is weak at one element or not." She retorted, quite passionate on the subject of firebending. "Let's say he's unable to defeat Ozai in those eight minutes, then what will he do when he gets his firebending back?"

"I'll take him down with air, water and earth, of course." Aang said as an afterthought after swallowing his chewed food.

"To be fair, the opposite element of fire is water and he's practically a master waterbender at this point." Katara added.

"Can't say the same for earth but he's still really good at it." Toph said with her mouth full.

"And I've known airbending all my life. Pretty sure if it comes down to fighting him for longer than eight minutes, I can take him down with those three elements alone."

The pause after Aang's reply was shattered by San's hearty laughter, prolonged to the point the team exchanged worried glances. When she realised no one was laughing with her, she wiped a tear away and asked, "Oh, nobody's joking?"

Someone was not telling her something. The doubtful creases on Aang's face, Katara twiddling with her thumbs, Sokka refusing to make eye contact, Toph chowing down on her food faster than usual— these were all a dead giveaway.

"Okay, I know none of you have a positive view on firebending considering the war and what each and every one of you have been through." She put down her makeshift plate, clearing her throat. "But every Avatar has to learn and master every element at one point. If Aang wants to defeat Ozai, he must learn how to firebend. At least... try to start knowing how to make a fire and start bending it."

"But—"

"Great! Now your first order of business..." San shuffled closer to the fire in the centre and patted the spot next to her, silently urging for Aang to follow. He obliged, "...is to close your eyes and listen to the crackling flames."

"That's it?" He arched a brow, unable to hide his hilariously confused expression.

"I can tell you're afraid of fire. So your first lesson is to get used to it and be friendly. If you fear it, you will eventually be consumed by it."