fourteen | into the deep, dark, wood

-FOUR-

As they made their way back, Khalida was chiding them annoyedly, "Who's bright idea was it to visit after hours? If there was a chance we'd get in trouble and ruin our personal records if we came, why on earth did we come at all?!" 

"Calm down, I'm sure there's nobody--" Ron nearly slammed into Professor McGonagall as he squeaked, "--there."

"Good evening." Said the woman, eyeing them like a hawk. Khalida felt chills go down her spine, ignoring the slight growl of irritation from her furry companion, who had alighted herself on the girl's shoulders. 

Within moments, the five of them were in the Professor's office, standing in front of her desk ashamedly as she scolded, "Nothing, I repeat, nothing gives a student the right to walk about the school at night." Malfoy smirked at them as she added, "Therefore, as punishment for your actions, 50 points will be taken." 

"50?!" Harry and Khalida exclaimed in unison. 

"Each." Said the emerald-robed woman sternly, "And to ensure it doesn't happen again, all five of you will receive detention."

Malfoy's smirk vanished, as he said in concern, "Excuse me, Professor. Perhaps I heard you wrong. I thought you said...'the five of us.'"

"No, you heard me correctly, Mr. Malfoy. You see, as honorable as your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours. You will serve detention with your classmates." She nodded at him, making Khalida snigger at his horror. 

"Not so goody-goody now, are you, Dray?" She asked, eyebrow raised. 

"Miss Lupin, stay back with me for a moment once the others have gone." McGonagall glared at her. Scared, the normally cautious and reserved girl let out a dog-like whimper, making Draco look at her oddly. Suppressing the sound with a cough, she said, "Yes, Professor." In such a small voice, that everyone was shocked. 

Once the others had been excused, McGonagall looked at Khalida. 

"Khalida." The girl cringed at the sound of her full name, "Have a seat." 

Nervously, she sat and looked at the teacher. In her nervousness, she didn't notice her grey wolf's ear had appeared on her. Lilith slid off her shoulder and walked up to McGonagall, rubbing against her shoulder as the woman stroked her fur. 

"Miss Lupin, I am aware that your father hasn't told you about his...adventures in this school. Let me tell you. He was an exceptional student, but was someone who went with his group at all times. He said nothing, sometimes spoke up of his opposition to things, but otherwise went with them. I see you every day, and have noticed how you are indeed, so much like Remus." She paused to take a huge intake of breath, "But do not always follow what your friends do. One day, if you do not oppose, things will get severe. Understand?" 

Taking her words to heart, and having calmed down a little, the girl nodded, "I understand, Professor." 

"Good. Now, run along quickly. Don't forget what I have conveyed, Miss Lupin." McGonagall dismissed her. 

--Time Skip--

"Lia. Leave the cat in the dorm." Hermione said, calmly. It was the night of their detention, and Khalida was refusing to let go of a sleeping Lilith in her arms. 

"No! This is my child!" Khalida exclaimed, making Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil look at her quizzicaly.

Hermione gently lifted the kneazle out of Khalida's arms and placed her onto the bed, whispering soft words as the cat woke up. Khalida stood up, kissed her cat on the head, and walked out of the dorm, growling under her breath.