Timeskip 9

Author's notes:

Chapter warning: COVID exists in this world. But it has no tragic consequences for the characters, just the usual, annoying ones. What? They are real people living in the real world. Didn't you know that? ^_^

Also, I was procrastinating with writing this, because it's the last one. But, I somehow feel inspired today, so I'm posting.

8i8

Tobio took the phone away from his ear to confirm that he and Reina were still connected. She went silent after he told her the news, and with him being now in Brazil for the World Club Championship, he wouldn't be surprised that something messed up the call. She still seemed to be on the line, though. "Reina, are you there?"

"Let me confirm, because I'm not sure I understand correctly," she said finally, "You're inviting me to Vienna for Christmas Holidays!?"

Tobio rolled his eyes, a bit discontent about hearing such disbelief in her voice. "Yeah... I just said those exact words."

"But... Why?"

"Well... we get a few days off during holidays, and I thought, you know... we're never got around to doing that... a proper Christmas date. We failed that first Christmas—"

"Failed?... You, like, kissed me for the first time..."

"And afterward, with the Haruko always around the corner and everything going on, we stopped even trying. But it seems I have actual holidays this year, and I thought I could... um... make up for it..."

"And you thought you should take me to Vienna?"

"Well, I asked our team manager—"

"Who? Veronica?"

"Yes. I asked her, and she said they go all out, you know, in Vienna, with all that Christmas stuff... and it's not a long flight."

"But aren't you playing like seven... no, now that you're in the Final 4, it's nine matches in the next three weeks? In three different countries? On two continents? I'd understand if you wanted to go to a spa... or a rehabilitation center. But Vienna? Just so you know... I will not sit in the hotel room if we go there. It's one of my most favorite cities in the world."

"Yeah, I know." She told him, like, ten times in the last few months when she was boasting about all the places she's seen since moving to Europe. And he wasn't dozing off through all of it, as she assumed. That's why he chose it. "But I was smart about it. I booked us a hotel that's smack in the middle of all those... Christmas thingies. So it wouldn't be such an effort to go to see it. And it's a five-star, with a five-star spa, of course. So I... WE can regenerate all we want."

"You did? Or did Veronica book it for you?"

"She was happy to help! She adores you..." He could hear Reina's joyful laughter over the line. Damn, I should've told her in person... or at least video-called. He'd give anything to see her expression right now. "Are you... happy?"

"I'm shocked. I will not believe it till we're on the plane. Hell, I still might not believe it when we get there."

8i8

Tobio was staring at his computer screen, waiting for Reina to answer the video call they planned. His eyes wandered to the downright corner, and he registered the date, 6th March 2020. Is it only the sixth? Damn. Days were going so slow recently. Reina finally showed up on the screen. He smiled. Talking with her was the only thing he was looking forward to these days.

"Hi, Tobio."

She was sitting on her bed, leaning on an assortment of weirdly shaped, colorful pillows. Above her headboard, he could see a collage of photographs she took: of her travels, of some parties, of rock concerts she went to. Half of these were probably with her friends from around here, others with Yoshida Eri. He wasn't sure. He never had a chance to see it up close, because he hadn't been in her room yet. That one time he went to Pisa, he was staying at a hotel. Usually, she was the one coming to his place in Rome, or they were staying at a hotel elsewhere. He remembered how much he liked her apartment back in Japan. It wasn't big, but she made the place completely her own. With a smile he recalled how she threw half of her furniture away to put a huge double bed in it, that took most of its floor space, so the two of them would be comfortable when he came over. That tiny studio was full of random things, from her science books, through music records, plants, photographs, camera gear, to way too many handbags and shoes. A bit cluttered, but still tidy, and so cozy. Felt like home. Her room now seemed similar. The places he was living at were functional, and he always tried to keep them pleasant and neat, but, aside from a few medals and awards lying around, which he didn't know how to display, they never had as much character. How he wished he could snuggle to her on that bed, just to sleep. Lately, he had trouble sleeping. He wondered if she had any of his pictures at her place like she used to, back at the old one.