Got You By the Nose

~Your POV~

Raising from my sleep, I greet the world with," Wueegghghghfh..." my throat is inflamed, head burning, tongue uncomfortable, ears clogged, and nose in need of a flush. I feel awful. But when I open my eyes I don't even have time to think about what flavor of pain they are in before I'm whelmed by two things; first, whatever my head was on was all one could ask for in a pillow beyond cold. But even the warmth was its own kind of comfortable that compelled me to stay rested.

Second, was her. Her head was in her head as it rocked back and forth while wearing an awfully sour expression. It was simply adorable, regardless of who, compounded by the fact that it was her. Soft lips that aren't too thin, nor too thick, an intoxicating shade of pink to compliment the porcelain skin. And that jet black hair, I've never held jet, or seen it, but no gem from anywhere could be as precious as a single strand on her head. It all almost made me forget how miserable I felt. But then my neck got stiff and I yelped a comical "Ack! Shit!" Earning me a flick in the forehead by the unreal beauty.

"Language!" Now her face was scrunched and more gamy than sour. My apologies were caught in my throat, but just because it felt closed for business, but also because of the eyes, now open, shining on me like a lilac sun.

"I'm sorry, you must be in so much pain already. And if I were just quicker you wouldn't be so-" we looked at each other, her regretful, and I expectant. "-eugh." I look away to soften the emotional blow on my cheek, and return my gaze only slightly less mesmerized than before. I keep wanting to say things and then having my throat deny them.

"I know! We'll get some udon. Soup is good for sickness after all. I'd try and medicate you, but my sister is far more talented with that stuff than me." She the stands up fully, which is how I discovered I was in her lap before, and now am on the floor, now understanding the flavor of pain my eyes were in was existing at all.
"Oh Shinobu-chan! She'll be so worried when she sees how you are."

'Doubtful' I think, not being able to say so at the moment. I'm picked up by the shoulders by Kanae who stands me up to eye level as she speaks.

"I'm sorry!" I raise a hand up hoping to get the point across. " Thank you for being so patient with me. I'll ask the survivor where a good place to get udon is. Good thing we were able to hunt this demon during the day." This sentence suddenly has my mind racing to recall what's happened to get me so 'eugh' anyhow.

~Short Timeskip~

"I should have noticed how much the toxin was affecting you. You could have ended up like the victims-" I look at her puzzled but am not absorbed by it enough to keep me from eating I'm not sure how hot soup fixes the whole 'I'm boiling from the inside' but it just does doesn't it? "Do you... remember what happened?" No, my head says.

She explains how we were sent to take on a demon who's terrorized a mining operation. When we got there the numbers were; one injured, one dead, six missing, fifteen suspected missing. We didn't count the bodies when we found the demon, but they were scattered about in a den deep in the mine. All of them just like the one the survivor dragged out. Half melted, half eaten. The one survivor said nothing seemed wrong when they all felt nauseous, until they could see the air, and it was a greenish yellow. Then someone nobody who worked there recognized started attacking everyone by tackling and rubbing up a bit and even flinging something from their hands causing the miners to melt. Kanae was told the full story before I got there and forgot to fill me in. She finds the demon kills it quickly before it could do anything, but I still somehow passed out.

From there I filled in a couple details. I recalled starting to feel like the air got thick and started boiling. The demon had a rat-ish appearance that I can't further explain beyond the wrinkly skin that excreted a boiling yellow liquid. The demon was monologuing about how dead we were when Kanae had exploded the demon into a dozen pieces before I had even noticed she'd had her blade drawn. And that as she was checking the bodies just before I passed out she was pinching her cute nose and squinting.