Chapter 13

We stayed like this for a while until we needed to go. Jessie carried Logan and I carried Caleb out to the car. I sat in between them both on the journey to the hospital. Caleb ended up falling asleep whereas Logan was looking out of the window.

This isn't going to be easy on the kids and will take them a while to get used to. I hope we can help them through it.

We eventually arrived at the hospital and I went to talk to the receptionist about what we needed to do.

She called Dr Matthew to the reception and he came over a few minutes later.

"Hi I'm Dr Matthew, you must be Hayden"?

I nodded. "Yes, we talked earlier".

We went into his office and he talked to me about what was next. Dr Matthew handed me a card for Christina's solicitor that she had handed to him.

"Thank you so much, Dr Matthew". I said shaking his hand before leaving his office.

"No problem. I'm sorry for your and the kid's loss". I smiled softly at him before leaving the hospital and went to find where Jessie had parked.

I eventually found our car and got in the passenger seat to see both kids asleep in the back while Jessie was on her phone

"Hey, how did it go"? She whispered.

"We talked about her wanting a funeral and to be buried next to her husband and he gave me a card for Christina's solicitor who we need to talk to". I whisper back and she nods before setting off back home.

We eventually pulled up back at home and once Jessie parked the car we got out and carried the kids inside.

"Should we put them in our bed"? I whisper to Jessie who nods. We head upstairs and lay the kids down in our bed. They stay asleep after we've laid them down and we stand near the doorway. Jessie leans her head into my shoulder and I wrap my arms around her and hold her close.

"They've been through so much". She whispers.

"I know. We'll help them through it all". I whisper back and she nods. "Let's leave them to sleep". I whisper and she nods. We head back downstairs.

"Should we call the solicitor now or tomorrow"? Jessie asks.

"Tomorrow. Let's leave the kids for today". I say and she nods.

Jessie and I both sit on the sofa and decide on a Disney film to watch.

We were halfway through watching the 2017 beauty and the beast when the stairs creaked. I paused the film and we watched both Logan and Caleb walk in with red and puffy eyes.

"Hey you two, come and join us". I said and Jessie and I pulled away to leave some room between us. The kids climbed on the sofa and Jessie grabbed the blanket placing it over us all. 

We didn't say anything to the kids knowing that nothing would help them. I just pressed play on the film and we all watched the last half of it together.

The film finished and I looked at Jessie and smiled before getting up and heading upstairs to our bedroom.

I grabbed what I was looking for and headed back downstairs.

"Kids we have something for you from your Mummy. She told us to wait a year but I'm sure she wouldn't have minded". I said grabbing both of their attention.

I handed them both the small gift boxes we had bought to store both of their gifts in and they opened them straight away.

"Are they their wedding rings"? Logan asked with tears in her eyes.