Chapter 1: Part 2

A hand reaching out to the top of my table finally answers my question. Elise herself, popping a bone or two, head and onto her back. Her jaw is bleeding and seems dislocated, but a lady shouldn't point out flaws of another in front of, well- men.

She wipes the blood with a handkerchief, then she turns to me completely oblivious to our faces. "Another record!" She punches the air, too energetic, too abnormal.

"What?.. wait, are you o-"

"Gossssip!" prolonging the words her mouth twitches to a smile. "So, Connie stop by again.."

I don't respond, though Elise didn't miss when my forehead furrows.

"Nothing? Really? You Kennedy should learn to remember people's names" she spoke as if she didnt just almost died!

"You really don't have to!" Kurt stands to a protest, he marches towards us stating his words firmly "You do not need to busy yourself with such insignificant people" then he sits on the table's edge, crossing his arms and pouts like an angry baby making himself cuter.

"Insignificant? When a lady from a building 2 kilometer from here walks on foot just to see you, or perhaps to send you gorgeous flowers." She pauses, dramatically wiping invisible tears. "How cold of you to think of it as insignificant"

His face crunches. "A kid, Elise. The girl is in grade 10, with ponytails and a red-head!"

"Well, you're a red head yourself"

"Are you blind? It has been black since last year!"

"Oh how you blind me with your beauty and unparalleled kindness. I pity the girl, really. Except for your shitty personality, what do you even have?"

I gasped by her choice of words, "Elise, we are not allowed to say such vulgar words" I whispered, hoping no one will report us.

She bombarded him with sensitive questions still, as a result, Kurt stood in rage and headed for the door.

But before he exited he turned to us, his lips quirks up into a smirk and said, "You tell me, Elise. What do you think I have?"

As he disappears behind the door, an immediate silence dawned on us. My eyes found her frozen, a blush tinted her cheek and eyes glued on the door where Kurt had just left.

I tried to silently ask Lucas on what is happening, but his furrowed brows already gave away his answer.
Elise is still quiet when she slowly sat on her chair, buried her face with a notebook, then whisper her prayers. "May God forgive me for I have witnessed the unclothed body of the devil."

I recall the days when I just transferred in this school and, was faced with different and unfamiliar faces which struck me with fear. I was wearing a hoodie then, I shunned myself to evade small talks that I'm incapable to return. Unfortunately, Elise didn't get the silent message and approached me.

But despite the current display of amity, there's still this foreign feel of wavering hesitance, maybe the fact of forbidding one's history and family to share. The school's ruling was indeed menacing and it left a bitter taste like of a tragic demise.

The school concealed our identity. They terminated our rights to recognize each other's flaws and achievements, they forbid us to tell our experiences, they excluded our real existence, and they forbid us to get to know each other. Sometimes, I could almost feel as if someone's watching, as if shadows tracking us even in our sleeps. I felt them everywhere, on windows, behind the trees, in the dorm, my room. In class.....

I peered around the classroom where the class is busy preparing for tonight's event, the bonfire, to celebrate our few months together as the top class of the whole grade. Then I turn to my wrist, a plain bracelet that matches with everyone. Directly given to us when we became an official students of Winter West High, they say, it would ring whenever we said something off the rules and guidelines. I lingered my eyes to it for a moment before returning to the funny sight of the three.

Lack of information makes everyone wary. We're all friends, but only by name.

"TIME'S UP!" Christine's voice boomed from the threshold of the doorway, and everyone are quick to perk up, likely excited for the event. She's this class's acting leader, with Cody behind her- a guy with thick glasses large on his eyes. He somewhat follows her around like a lost puppy, shy, and I never heard him spoke a word.. "Stop whatever you're doing cause we're going outside together! This will be our last, therefore we won't start without the other. Am I clear?"

Everyone nodded with anticipation, and as soon as Christine goes outside everyone are quick to follow. I waited to be last to avoid the crowd, I stepped outside just as cold flesh brush against my arm.

"Where are they?" wondered Lucas, we scanned the room back but was left empty.

"I... I thought they were with you" I lightly stuttered, feeling shy as I felt warmth slowly creeping out on my cheeks.

"Elise practically yanked Kurt to find you" he said humorously. He lingered his eyes on me for a moment before letting his arms rest across my shoulder, he pulled me towards him. "I guessed she missed.... Just you and me then" he murmured the last part.

This close, I could smell his pleasant musky scent, fresh and intoxicating. I watched him for a moment, my eyes trailing over his messy black hair down over his jawline and flawless natural tan skin. He's a giant against my petite body, but it didn't keep me from feeling warmth flourished within me that heated my skin successfully. I quickly looked down when he turned to me.

"Are you okay? You're flushed. If you're not feeling well--"

"I'm okay" I quickly piped in, I smiled at him until he releases the forming crease on his forehead.

"Okay" He breathes. He brushed a finger on my cheek that sends a pleasant chill over my skin. It takes a huge control to keep myself from leaning onto his touch, so I just stared at his blue eyes streaked with yellow, almost red under the bright light, and I nearly purred. "I have something for you". He releases his hand from me as he scavenges his pocket.

It took my breathed away. I scanned the silver necklace dangling carefully on his fingers, there's a small pendant that sparkles under the light and I couldn't help but melt at the sight. I studied it all over again and my stomach just flutters with butterflies. I look up to him and lightly he gave up a shy smile.

"I got it from the festival. I thought, it would look great on you" He slowly walk till he reaches my back, he briefly pushes my hair to the side and I was in a complete awe to even say anything. When he was done, he walked to stand by me, he searches for my reaction but I just stood there frozen. "Kennedy?" Slowly, I reached for the pendant tracing the K, the lone letter that carves on it accentuating my name.

I love it. I wanted to say, but another deep voice boomed throughout the hall that made us both look.

Kurt stood there with a monotone voice despite his stiff features. "Let's go, everyone's waiting" he only said before turning back, we slightly hesitated but nevertheless followed after glancing towards each other. My heart fluttering still, my feet are noodles, but one smile and I'm able to pull my heavy legs forward.

Since 11th grade, Lucas was always kind and sweet. That where I fell. Despite his good nature, he took special attention to his friends which consist of us 4. He was always fair, unbiased to kindness, things, and attention. But today, he had given me something and I felt.... Special.

But as seconds pass, something odd starts to waver inside of my chest and I always knew; Good things, always comes with great prices.

Winter West High

Grade: 12

Class: 1-A

Present: 30

Tardy: 0

Absent: 0

Remaining: 30

——————————————————————-

Dont Forget to Vote!!! 😊☺️