Chapter Eight - Dressing Up

Mom came home just after the news ended. I watched her, long black hair flying and face flushed, rushing through the doors and then running into her office. She barely glanced at me, standing in the hallway. Two GlobalGov assistants weren't long behind her, shaking out their navy-blue umbrellas. Their navy-blue uniforms were tinted black after being soaked by the rain.

Brooks came to greet them, the squeak of his soft soles on the marble floor leading them to Mom's office. I didn't dare follow them. Mom was in "lieutenant-general mode," all formality and procedures. She wouldn't have answered any of my questions, just shooed me out of the room. At least this major news has turned the spotlight off on me. For once, Aliah has done something nice for me.

I never liked the girl. Not simply because she always made a play for Syon's attention. The last time I saw Aliah just after Mom disappeared. Me, Criane and Elody had been in our garden, picking vegetables. Aliah and her mom Jezzie had walked by, looking fresh and clean while I was covered from head to toe in dirt. Aliah was on her way to buy new shoes, something my family could never afford to do. I always wondered where she got her money.

The rain stopped a little while ago. It's late afternoon and I'm sitting in the garden in the warm afternoon sun. The air smells like wet grass. Droplets of water drip, drip, drip off the slanted roof and onto the slate patio. Flowers in pots bloom around me in the same red and blue colours of the umbrellas that had surrounded Aliah. Thinking about her sends bursts of memories about Settlement 33, Queest through my brain. I see my house, the cave blasted into the side of the mountain. I see dad and mom smiling at each other while telling me a story. I see Goliath and the Motos marching into the community feast.

I shake my head and the images of home go flying. Opening my book, I settle into the green cushions of the lounger. I try to get into the story of an orphaned girl who is sent off to live on a farm on an island. I flip a few pages before realizing that I haven't read a word. I can't concentrate.

The journalist in me is asking questions and demanding answers. I wonder if Crinae knows what's going on. I think if she did, she'd be here. Elody won't have a clue. She's the scientist, not the reporter. Hyla and Chuck are too far removed from the situation. My uncle definitely had a hand in all of this.

The shush of the patio door sliding open takes my attention. It's a GlobalGov official, one I've met many times when I've been my uncle's envoy.

"Hi, Sung Ho," I say, sitting up.

"Excuse me, Ma'am," he says. "I am instructed to bring you to the media centre in an hour."

"Why?"

"The great leader wants you there."

"In official capacity?"

"You will not be acting as an ambassador. You, along with your sisters and the lieutenant-general, have been requested to stand as extended family."

The words extended family hit my ears sideways. Are we being pushed out now that a daughter is in the picture?

I get up, wobbling a bit. Sung Ho puts a strong arm out and steadies me by my shoulder.

"I'm fine," I say, brushing him away. "I need to eat."

Sung Ho nods and briskly walks back into the house. I pat my stomach. I'm still not hungry but I also don't want to faint in front of the girl, woman I guess now, I despise.

Inside the mansion, I find Brooks in the elaborately decorated library reshelving some books. I ask him to bring a scone and some tea up to my room. That should hold me. Although who knows how long this media thing will be. Sebastian is not known for his short and sweet meetings.